Starting to plan for my first ever Speed Goat Hunt, advice requested!

Tches453

FNG
One of my bucket list hunts is a Pronghorn hunt. Since i have a mediport implanted in my right upper chest I have not shot a rifle in number of years. I have the port because of a medical disability. I hunt with a Diamond compound bow and/or Ten Point Crossbow.

Having never hunted Pronghorns I am not sure exactly where to go, CO, WY MT, where would you go. Would you do a DIY hunt or hire a guide, if you were to hire guide, how would you pick one.

i have to keep in mind living on disability i have to choose and make decision very carefully to keep from emptying the pocketbook.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice,

Terry

vanish

WKR
Having hunted both WY and CO, between the two I would pick WY in a heartbeat. Way more land to hunt with way more animals. CO is fine for us residents, but as an NR it just doesn't compare.

I cannot comment on other states..

Gumbo

WKR
Guided hunts for goats are pretty reasonable. If you want to sit in a blind I'd go guided in WY. If you want to spot and stalk I'd go unguided in WY or MT, but I have no experience in CO or any other states.

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
If Wyoming, get a preference point before October 31 (I think) deadline

cooperjd

WKR
wyoming for sure. also as mentioned above, go online and buy a pref point this year (i think its either 20 or 30 bucks).

since its archery equipment, and you may have physical limitations, i would do a guided archery hunt. you'd most likely sit in a blind over water or fence crossing. they are reasonably priced usually, and wyoming has lots of goats.

NYSKIER

WKR
I am going to reiterate whatever one else has said. You can buy a preference point until the 31st of the month and guided hunts for antelope are not bad. Usually the ones that I see are around 2000 plus whatever you are going to tip. Guides will get you on the antelope in a blind for sure and then it will be up to you to pick what you wanted to take. Not a guarantee but as close as you could ever get to one I think

My wife and I just got back from our first Antelope hunt. Honestly not much to it. We applied in Wyomimg, got drawn and went hunting. Found lots of Antelope. If you get drawn, contact a biologist that's in that area and pick his brain. That's what we did. Good luck

Rich M

WKR
Get the preference point!

The areas with more public land are more desirable.

Imagine stalking a tom turkey across your back lawn - that's about like stalking antelope. I did it this year - managed to figure it out but blew a couple chances first.