WY Leftover Speed Goat Experience

bmcbeain

FNG
This past weekend I met my brother for a fun extended weekend hunt in WY. It was our first time hunting in WY, though we have 4-6 PP for most all species there. We didn’t look to burn our PP quite yet for pronghorn. And with the price increases next year in WY figured this to be the best opportunity to try out the Cowboy State.

We had planned this hunt since the leftover list came out and as it is a great hunt for us to met up (CO boy and bro is in Utah) and it didn’t mess with the other tags we each have. Our unit was limited access unit, so we did our homework on access points and research on locations. We studied info on county websites, onX Maps and Google Earth.

We hiked in 12 miles and we were just under 7 miles from nearest legal road you can access. We saw lots of pressure by the road. But our style of hunting is to get away from the roads and crowds. Only saw gas workers out in the remote areas, which they stated not too often do guys trek back in there.

My only negative take away was on the pack out we came across three guys from CA were likely multiple violations occurring (driving on private roads, shooting from and taking game on road, etc.) as they processed a mule deer buck. We talked to them, not confronting them about the many violations they have broken. I took a picture of their truck and license plates. I reported to WY Stop Poaching, hope the info helps the game warden nab these guys. Disappointing as later that day we saw three youth hunters at an access point with their dads with mule deer tags. They had not yet seen an animal, but were doing things right. Kudos to their dads for teaching them that the ethics of hunting is when no one else is watching you are still doing things right.

I was blessed to have harvested a buck. This is my third year straight (previous two archery) filling a pronghorn buck tag. Glad to have enjoyed another adventure hunting, new state and time outdoors. Freezer is getting full but there are more tags in my pocket. Good luck on your hunts and help keep hunters a good name but staying on the up-n-up on things.

cf6e37b4b9e34e3f37216ea39e919df3.jpg
6d1834e3fe215640e99915dc1fc30366.jpg
5127ed592afd625b976d1214f3744a65.jpg

Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited:

Bobbyboe

WKR
Great job! I hunted an leftover unit, which I would guess was immediately south of where you were and also had success. My unit had tons of pressure and I only found a small sq mile chunk adjacent to a private alfalfa field that held antelope. I saw about 40 antelope and 20-30 muledeer, including a decent 4pt, on that piece of land. I ended up taking my antelope on day two when he ran a doe off of the alfalfa field onto the public land.

Overall, I was disappointed with the unit because of the lack of animals on the public Land. But in the end, I would rather be hunting a leftover unit than no unit!

Very cool! Congrats! Hoping to do left over WY next year. Wish I hadn’t waited so long. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
Makes me feel bad. I'm a WY resident and I probably won't even hunt my antelope tag because i don't feel like driving a few hours. Already put up 2 elk and 4 doe antelope...so i don't need the meat...just feeling lazy.

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Makes me feel bad. I'm a WY resident and I probably won't even hunt my antelope tag because i don't feel like driving a few hours. Already put up 2 elk and 4 doe antelope...so i don't need the meat...just feeling lazy.

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Must be nice...

I sure wouldn't mind re-locating to WY. It seems like a horrible place to live!

TravisIN

WKR
Not trying to steal your thread but are the leftovers first come first serve and when they go on sale? I have 1 point and am hunting next year and am trying to get a plan together. Your story was great and sound like what I'm trying to do. Congrats man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj

WKR
Leftovers are now a draw tag also and with the price increase for tags, it seems the golden years are over. Still a cool hunt, but even after my first year I noticed that it's all about the money for the Ranchers with trespass fees and now the State wants in on the action.

Leftovers are now a draw tag also and with the price increase for tags, it seems the golden years are over. Still a cool hunt, but even after my first year I noticed that it's all about the money for the Ranchers with trespass fees and now the State wants in on the action.

When did that happen? I thought leftovers were a first come tag? I was planning on trying a leftover hunt next year so I could go up there and get a feel for things without burning my points.

JWP58

WKR
This was the first year. All of the surplus tags went into a leftover drawing, and then anything left went on sale OTC.

Yep, pretty sweet. Now as a resident I can't even draw a leftover buck tag, oh well. Better enjoy the Oct deer and elk before the whiners ruin that too.

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
Bump.... I know this post is pretty old but I'm planning a speedgoat hunt for this fall and my plan appears similar to yours -try to get drawn for my second choice unit to save my pp and hike in a long way. Would you mind sharing the unit you hunted? PM if necessary.

Efw

FNG
That looks like a great time!

I really enjoy going out w/ a pair (or more) of doe tags and hitting it like you guys did. Just being in that country is a pleasure, antelope is a favorite meat, and the practice I get chasing em ensures I’ll know how to do it right when I finally cash in my points.

As has been said already they now have a leftover draw which costs nothing vs the old first come first serve system. Demand has gone WAY up which tells me this price increase was appropriate; I remember not very long ago when I got my first trip put together after the draw on a leftover unit that takes more than 1 point to draw now.

The times they are a changin in that regard; I’d still rather hit a hard to hunt unit w/ challenging access than sit in a tree here in Michigan...

For the guy asking for a unit number there are quite a few just start here in non-resident (points) results from last year. See what units had better than 50% odds w/ 0 points and then for second and third choices. Watch the tag allocations that’ll come out in April to see if the quotas change before applying.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2017-Drawing-Odds

Good luck,

Efw

Last edited:

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I've done quite a bit of research on WY's website and believe I know which unit I'm going to use as my second choice but thought it would also help to talk to guys who have been out there.

Awesome. That 3rd picture will be one you really stare at , soakin and study in another 15 years.

nagibson1

FNG
I heard about the changes in Wyoming. Out here in Wisconsin it feels pretty dizzying to keep up with all the changes in the Western laws. I think I have two preference points for Wyoming, but I know a number of guys that have stopped accumulating for that state. Hopefully this will ebb and flow rather than just be a steady charge in one direction.

Rich M

WKR
IMO, we just have to roll with the punches. Lots of folks want to go.

I did a 0 pt unit in 2017 and that was the first year it did not have buck tags left over, I ended up with 4 doe tags and filled 2. Don't know if anyone will ever hunt there again with 4 tags. It is now a 1 pt unit.

If guys are stopping their quest for tags - thank them for me. Collecting a few points for a better hunt - if some guys stop, then the creep might slow down some.