Second by second.....more than a week later!

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Opening day had arrived for much dad and I in Colorado. We attended a wedding Friday night and had to bahave our selves so we could drive the 4 hours to our hunting spot for opening morning. The land we had permission on would be our second year as such, and we both had harvested does last year. We knew the lay of the land fairly well and knew there were large amounts of antelope and large bucks to choose from. I used my preference points this year to draw a buck, dad will do the same next year. My little brother also drew a buck tag, his part of this story to come. Opening morning we got to the field before sun up and enjoyed a cup of joe and a donut while glassing from my truck. My truck, my baby, my first new vehicle had seen service from me for only a year now and did not have a scratch.....key to that is did not have one, yet. We glassed a really nice buck and I wanted to go after him, so we hit the road through the property to make my stalk a little shorter. This is where my day went to a shit basket quick. Due to the heavy rains in the area lately the sunflower had grown almost nearly across the road, which scouting only a few weeeks ealrlier did not. I scratched the livin shot out of my Dodge 3500 Laramie Longhorn Cummins which anyone who knows me knows I have babied to say the least. Needless to say my day was not going well. I decided to pull over and stop the destruction, and the buck I wanted was still a few miles from me. It’s amazing how close things look when your using a Vortex spotting scope, and how not close things are when you start walking haha!!! I made a 6 mike in total stalk on my buck, the last 1/2 mike of which I army crawled through previously stated sunflowers for a shot. My final shot was a little over 400 yards, and then I realized I did not have my pack frame, knife, or water. Awesome news for me. Again needless to say I had walked back to the truck and back to the buck, and back to the truck again with the buck. Fun fun fun!!! My dad was lucky enough to tag a doe which had run when I shot, so we tagged out opening morning by noon! My mood changed from very pissed about the truck to very happy, to very tired, back to pissed when my wife saw the truck. All in all it was a great hunt and an awesome green score for B&C, can’t wait the remaining days for the official score! Hope you guys enjoyed my story!

Almost forgot, my brother went down with dad during the week due to his work schedule and also tagged a B&C goat for himself. Good year for antelope, hope it rains like hell every year to keep them well hydrated! Haha

Last edited:
OP
J

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Thx Duckslayer.....I do have a good scope but also the spot for glassing sits much closer to the hunting ground than the access road to the property if that makes sense. In other words I was not entirely far when glassing but the only access we have permission for is much further away. Just noticed my pic isn't coming through for some reason.....got the unofficial green score from taxidermist at a little over 82 so I'm anxiously hoping I don't lose too much in the remaining days for official score. My brothers actually greened at 80 flat so may not be B&C like I stated earlier but still nice if ya ask me!