Wyoming antelope 2018

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Two of my buddies and I just purchased a preference point each and were going to start planning our first ever western hunt.

We're planning to do a rifle antelope hunt but still uncertain where and if we're going to hunt walk in areas or pay a trespass fee. Looking for info on what other think would be best. Thanks for the help in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
If you pick an area with decent public land and a hunt management area or walk in area there is no reason to pay trespass fees. Six of us went to WY this year, 4 first times, and in 3 days we took 6 antelope. 4 off a wildlife management area and 2 off a hunter management area that we applied for.
Antelope hunting is the most fun laid back hunt I have ever done with the least amount of boot leather ever expended. There was always animals around and bucks to judge.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Guess its time to start studying up. I'm new to the western game all together so picking a spot is overwhelming so far but im going to start searching and learning.

Is it best to stay away from towns to stay away from hunting pressure?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Maybe the bigger cities but I wouldn't worry about the small towns.

I would start with when you want to go, how many points will you have, then look at drawing odds and figure out which units you could draw with that many points. This will help narrow down your search. Look for walk in areas and hunter management areas within the possible units as well as access to public land. I hunted this year on a unit that took 2.5 or so points to draw, this unit has some public access but we never ended up hunting the public off the roads as we shot 4 antelope in a wildlife management area and the other 2 in a hunter management area.

Efw

FNG
For putting together an ap here is what I’d do. Start here:

Wyoming Game and Fish Department - error

Look at units that were 75% or better on first choice w/ 1 point. Compare them all and pick one as first choice based upon your ideas of a great hunt. Remember first choice is the only points-based choice in the draw. If you’d like to hunt AND accumulate points for a dream hunt choose the best unit you can imagine as first choice; if you don’t get your first choice you get a point.

For second do the same... find units w/ 75% or better odds for second choice and compare, then do the same for third.

Hunter Management Areas (HMAs) can help a ton along w/ Walk In only Areas (WIAs) so look on the WG&F site for that info as you decide between units.

Good luck; the only wrong decision is to not go! They are all good units; some are better than others!