Gilette WY

Anyone get a goat from Gilette? I'm planning my hunt.
Is there a local butcher in town?
Then I plan to pack it in a cooler, with dry ice, and get in to a UPS store...

Is there a local Taxidermist? I'd rather have it done out there, than deal with CWD crossing state lines.

wyosteve

WKR
Yes, there is one or possibly 2 local meat processors. At least 2 taxidermists I'm aware of. Dusty Cargal(not sure on last name) and Dale Locken (if he's still doing it, since I haven't talked to him in a few years)

CWD affects members of the deer family (cervids). Antelope are not in the deer family and therefore not impacted by CWD.

I would suggest Koehler's Processing for the meat side of things. (307) 682-7673 and Rusty's (Rusty Bell at (307) 660 7412 or Trophy Taxidermy (Cargal) (307) 682-0864 for the artwork after the shot.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from Gilette on Saturday. We went three for four on antelope. I rented a house for the week since it wound up being the same price as a hotel room, also there are limited places to camp that are out of the wind and near decent areas to hunt. We processed, wrapped, and froze all of our meat ourselves. We just paid the overweight fees and flew it back on the plane. One cooler weighed 81 pounds and the other weighed 116 pounds. Shipping it would have been a similar cost. Check out Koehler's Wild Game (307) 696-9304 as well as Rancher's Meat Locker (307) 640-1917. I think that one if not both have after hours drop off and can turn it around in 24 hours if needed.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I had to wait almost 3 days to finish processing after I got back home to Florida and my meat was still frozen. Just remember with dry ice you are limited to 5 pounds max in each cooler due to airline and FAA regulations.
d28ac6932179fdc03e6b094409a21ce4.jpg
b8a2fc34b5125a269581e84c86e2e059.jpg
5ae3814f897c29e020e9df23e914b643.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
We reside near Gillette, WY just in a small town 20 miles outside of Gillette. However we both work in Gillette so we are very familar. I highly suggest Kohlers Processing. We process our own game now that we have a shop and property but before that we have used them and they are great to work with! Family owned. I got my antelope this year there is a post on the antelope forum called " memories in the making" you can check out the story and pics there. Good Luck and enjoy Gillette its a great small town!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
We reside near Gillette, WY just in a small town 20 miles outside of Gillette. However we both work in Gillette so we are very familar. I highly suggest Kohlers Processing. We process our own game now that we have a shop and property but before that we have used them and they are great to work with! Family owned. I got my antelope this year there is a post on the antelope forum called " memories in the making" you can check out the story and pics there. Good Luck and enjoy Gillette its a great small town!

x2 on Kohlers!

OP
Short Track
OK, assuming Koehlers can freeze it as well. Is there a local dry ice place? I'll buy coolers out there as well.

Then I'll go to a UPS store, and have them put the coolers into cartons.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I think Walmart had dry ice, if not Albertsons usually has some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
OK, assuming Koehlers can freeze it as well. Is there a local dry ice place? I'll buy coolers out there as well.

Then I'll go to a UPS store, and have them put the coolers into cartons.

Koehler does freeze for you. Now you may want to call and ask about time wise for processing during the time of your hunt. They typically are really good. But doesn’t hurt to call and get an idea.

I can’t speak for the ups stuff cause I’ve never shipped meat but I bet Koehlers would have some pointers as they see a lot of out of state hunters. So they would be good to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk