Wyoming Outfitters

Rmauch20

WKR
I am hoping to head up to Wyoming to try a Antelope hunt next year (2018). More then likely I will be going by myself. I currently have 1 point. I not looking for a trophy hunt, just a buck and maybe a doe tag. I know there is going to be a DIY preference here, but for guys who used a outfitter was it worth the extra money spent? Anybody have recommendations for Outfitters that don’t break the bank?

I haven't hunted antelope, but it is on my bucket list. I drove from Vermont this year and scouted several units. My recommendation is save the cash and DIY. Spend a little of the saved cash and get the OnXmaps. I used it and loved it. That is how I will do my antelope hunt next year. They seemed to be all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^^This

I hunted Wyoming two years in a row with zero points. Successful both years. Get the on OnXmaps chip for your garmin and go hunting. Also, call the game warden and get an explanation of the roads system; what's public vs private.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wyoming. Hunt western Wyoming. Almost all public. It will be hard to not find antelope. Can't think of a good reason to have an outfitter. Dang things are everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR
With one point use a bit of extra money and put in for the special draw. With an hour or two of research you'll get yourself a unit where you'd have to be drunk and blindfolded to not get a buck your first morning, if you aren't after a trophy. Seriously, it's the easiest DIY hunt you can find. You'll want one or two doe tags so your hunt isn't over so quick, and to get more meat. Antelope is absolutely delicious. I just put 3 in the freezer last week. It took me 2 hours of hunting in one of the worst units in the state. You'll be able to draw a much better unit.

Rich M

WKR
I have to echo the sentiment about it being an easy hunt. You need to decide what kind of access you want and how long you want to wait.

I did one of the limited access hunts this year (there were leftover tags). Had 3 shot opps where I was on opening day (got 2 fawns) and put partner on a doe at first light on day 3 (he had shot a buck on day 1). It rained Day 2 and we slept in, drove around after it stopped.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
R

Rmauch20

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I know guys make it sound like you can’t fall out of the truck without hitting antelope in Wyoming so I am leaning toward a diy Hunt but haven’t quite made up my mind just yet. It would sure be nice to save the extra $1500-$2000.

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
I did my first western hunt on antelope DIY two years ago. Drew second choice, so kept my points. My partner and I had 4 antelope down and headed home in 2 days.

Buy you a good spotting scope with the money you save from going with an outfitter. Then you'll always have it :)

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
Diamond Ranch Outfitter. Dan is the man if you have 1 point. Unit 46

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Efw

FNG
I’ve never heard a bad thing about SNS Outfitters. They have camps in multiple units and everybody I’ve talked to had a great experience with them.

I had absolutely no western hunting experience at all in 2010. I got a promotion that came with an extra week of vacation after the draw deadline. Bought a leftover tag, took my (then) 8 yo son and we had a buck on the ground less than an hour after sunrise. Had the time of our lives.

‘‘Twas pretty intimidating with all the statistics and logistics and whatnot but that ended up being more than half the fun. We’ll never forget that and I’m as hooked as a crack addict on this western thing now.

If you DIY you won’t just save a bunch of money you’ll build confidence in your ability to manage a project like this and open your mind to other states and species you might not be able to afford with an outfitter. Not to mention there is a great deal of satisfaction in saying “DIY Public Land!” When people inevitably ask if you had a guide.

Don’t sell yourself short!

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
I won a hunt with Table Mountain Outfitters near Casper last year, and would recommend them. Great environment at camp and they got me on antelope quickly. Cannot say enough good about them.

That being said, I am planning to go back to WY this year and hunt DIY and bring my family along. Nothing against Table Mountain, but as stated the antelope are EVERYWHERE. I tried to explain it and I found this best sums it up; imagine every time you saw a blue car it was a herd of antelope. There are that many of them out there. If you purchase OnX Maps and can spend a few days there you will tag out. I researched which areas have public access, can be drawn with 1 point, and their harvest rates and selected a unit to hunt this year on toprut.

I would definitely recommend saving the money, it is scary to go out without any knowledge and hope to be successful but with WY antelope it can be done.