Lusk, WY info

mw243270

FNG
Hi Folks,
I am looking for recommendations on the following in the Lusk area.

Accommodations, places to eat, taxidermy, meat processors. I am assuming the few motels there are booked pretty early?

Will be rifle hunting public land there for antelope this fall. What are your thoughts on going opening day vs waiting until the second week?

thanks for the help,
Mark

wyosteve

WKR
Lusk is a small town as you probably know. 2 or maybe 3 smallish motels so they do get booked quickly. If you don't mind a little drive, Torrington is bigger with more amenities. Lusk used to have 1 meat processor, but not sure if he's still in business. Give the Chamber of Commerce or one of the businesses it town a call for more accurate detailed info.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They did have a best western hotel there last time I worked there. It was the nicest in town but far from awesome. They roll up the sidewalks pretty early there so plan ahead if your planning to eat in town.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lheise88

FNG
Lusk meat processing, and Blair artworks and taxidermy. Same guy owns both. But pretty steep on the prices I will say that. I brought in my goat deboned and pretty dang clean and it was 120 bucks to have it done. I usually do it myself but i was on my first hunting trip ever and didn’t know what to expect. My goat was like 840 for a wall pedestal. Once again I wasn’t prepared to skin out the head so I was kind of stuck to taking it there. I have since practiced on deer so I will be able to take it home or somewhere to my choice. Only place to stay that I remembered seeing was the best western. I was archery hunting but plan to rifle hunt there this fall. Not much public ground at all in that unit. Goats are all average I would say. Never seen anything too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Efw

FNG
Buddy who has lived out there all his life just texted:

“Probably the best hotel would be the best western then the covered wagon. There's one processor in town and they do ok. It's right beside both hotels. The Triangle 4 is where we met up “

Triangle 4 has good meals we always go when our there.

It’s a beautiful area I visit regularly good luck!

Sturgeon

WKR
Check airbnb and VRBO for places available. Not a lot available, but gives a few more options.

We hunted 10/13-10/16 last year and did not see a ton of animals and very few on public land. We talk with one rancher that said he hadn't seen antelope on the big sections of walk in since the beginning of the month. We did end up filling one of our 4 tags on the last day and had an opportunity at another one. If we had to do it over we would have gone earlier and given ourselves a few more days to hunt. We put a lot of miles on the car and our legs every day.

pirogue

WKR
I worked and stayed in the area about 15 years ago. Actually met some landowners that I had permission to hunt on. I don't recall a lot of public land, but was not familiar with anything north of Lusk. I do remember a large landowner telling me the grasses in that area don't have the same nutritional value for horn and sheath growth, as other parts of the state. I harvested a couple bucks, no whoppers, but did have one mounted. When I look at it on the wall, I can state "that buck came from the least populated county, of the least populated state, in the USA".

smoothie25

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I stayed at the Covered Wagon two nights this fall (late Oct). We didn't have a reservation. Covered Wagon and Best Western had vacancies at the time. We chose the Covered Wagon b/c it was considerably cheaper than Best Western.

I stay there multiple times a year for work. I always pick the Best Western. Honestly, even during hunting season I don’t think it booms up that fast. There are bars right near there and the pizza joint downtown used to be really good. I have to go there in the next couple months so I will try that out again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
We will also be hunting around lusk the first week of oct this yr. it will be our first antelope hunt so we are hoping to get on some animals. We are also willing to pay a trespass fee to up our odds if anyone has any connections or contacts that would be great

My recollections are not much public ground. The Pub and the Silver Dollar Saloon both have very good burgers and such, the Pizza Place has excellent pizza and sandwiches/salads.

LostArra

WKR
Warning: old man story.
My college roommate was from Lusk. Back then (early 70's) antelope opened on Saturday and I think mule deer opened on Monday.Town was packed on Friday night with hunters. Lions or Kiwanis club had a big bbq dinner for all the hunters and my roommate's dad was involved so we worked the dinner. Stayed up too late and got up real early. Went out with roommate's hs buddy before daylight and shot 3 bucks as the sun rose. Local recon was invaluable.

We were both enrolled in Game Processing at UW (a fall class in the Ag dept) so we drove our iced antelope back to the campus walk-in cooler that afternoon and had it packaged by the class on Monday including some salami and summer sausage in the Ag dept smoker.

I've wondered if UW still offers Game Processing which was the most valuable college class I ever took. The classroom part wasn't easy but the lab was a blast!

Best of luck on your hunt. Thanks for reminding me of some great times.