Wyoming Antelope Help

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
Never killed an antelope so all I’m looking for is a legal lope to harvest. Im a non resident with zero points so I’m hoping y’all can help point me in the right direction to a Wyoming unit with public access requiring no points if possible. Looking to do a diy Hunt in public to save cost so getting an outfitter isn’t an option for me. I’ve researched some and I’m interested in unit 17 but I’m finding mixed reviews on public access. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never killed an antelope so all I’m looking for is a legal lope to harvest. Im a non resident with zero points so I’m hoping y’all can help point me in the right direction to a Wyoming unit with public access requiring no points if possible. Looking to do a diy Hunt in public to save cost so getting an outfitter isn’t an option for me. I’ve researched some and I’m interested in unit 17 but I’m finding mixed reviews on public access. Thanks for the help!

I did the same thing your planning last year, except with 1/2 a point (I had one and partner had 0). People are not going to tell you where to go or what unit to pick. The best thing you can do is first find the units that you can draw using the Wyoming draw odds. Then make sure that those units have reasonable success rates. Then you can start looking at maps of those units and find out if they have public access options. My guess is once you have done this you will have narrowed it down to only a few units that check all those boxes. Pick the one thats the closest drive to you. From my experience if there is open country (not mountains) and your in Wyoming, there will be antelope.

wyosteve

WKR
I lived in area 17 for many years. There is minimal public land and it gets hit hard by hunters. Most private land in the unit is either leased to outfitters or charges trespass fees. Central Wyo., around Casper, Rawlins, Lander has lots of BLM, but I don't know about drawing odds.

FURMAN

WKR
There are no great units with 0 points but it looks like 17 may be one of the better ones with the cheap tag. They have made some changes in the last few years that have made some of the better units unavailable with 0 points and the cheap tag. If you get the "special" tag unit 25 would be my choice. Unit 25 is worth the extra money to me but you will have to do some hiking.

OP
Sewall

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
There are no great units with 0 points but it looks like 17 may be one of the better ones with the cheap tag. They have made some changes in the last few years that have made some of the better units unavailable with 0 points and the cheap tag. If you get the "special" tag unit 25 would be my choice. Unit 25 is worth the extra money to me but you will have to do some hiking.

Thanks for the info! I’ve been really looking at all the units we could draw on OnX maps to find public access and I’ve found several with large chunks that we could hike into. It’s kinda confusing on which roads are public. Some roads show up on OnX and they look like a public road but when I research that unit it turns out the road is private and you have to have landowner access to cross.

OnX is great, but when it comes to public roads you MUST get that from the county road or GIS department.

This is one weakness of OnX - their roads are not accurate - not just public/private, but I’ve seen places where they show a road or trail and there is absolutely nothing anywhere near there.

FURMAN

WKR
I have not found a great way to see the "public" roads. Even some of the county maps are wrong. If you do draw 17 or 25 I would be willing to help over the phone if interested.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Few things more frustrating than making a plan in a unit with limited public ground only to arrive there and see a giant sign PRIVATE ROAD BEYOND THIS POINT. It unfortunately not uncommon so arrive early before you plan to hunt and ensure where your planning to access your spots

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've called the game warden for an area to double check which roads are public. And most county road maps are available online going through the county road departments arcgis database.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

wytx

WKR
You'll have a much more enjoyable hunt if you get some doe tags this coming year and a PP then apply for an any antelope tag next year.
Do some research on 1 PP areas then apply for doe tags there, you can learn the area then have a good idea where the bucks hang out. Access for hunting doe is easier to come by on private land and might get you access next year for a buck.

Road and Bridge Dept. are the best way to get info on public roads. Sometimes you just have to call or email and ask about specific roads, they will answer with good info.

Efw

FNG
Cnelk nailed it w/ greenwood they’re great.

For putting together an ap on 0 PPs here is what I’d do. Start here:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/DRAW_ANT_PP_NONRES_2017.pdf

Look at units that were 75% or better on first choice w/ zero points. Compare them all and pick one as first choice based upon your ideas of a great hunt. Remember first choice is the only points-based choice in the draw.

For second do the same... find units w/ 75% or better odds for second choice and compare, then do the same for third.

HMAs can help a ton along w/ WIAs so look on the WG&F site for that info as you decide between units.

Good luck; the only wrong decision is to not go! They are all good units; some are better than others!

I have not found a great way to see the "public" roads. Even some of the county maps are wrong. If you do draw 17 or 25 I would be willing to help over the phone if interested.

I’m going to 17 this year and was wondering if you’d help by giving me some tips on where to start