Antelope Rut and Meat

blackdawg

WKR
Could someone enlighten me as to the normal peak rut times for the antelope in Wyoming and if anyone has experienced poor meat flavors from the constant chasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have seen, the peak of the antelope rut is usually around the end of September and start of October. I haven't ever noticed a different taste in antelope meat from a rut buck to early or late season does.

Had bucks chasing does all around us the last time we were out. The meat was as good as it gets!

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
When I went for the first time last year we kept running into people who kept telling us how terrible the meat was. One guy said our best bet was to cook the meat on a piece of wood, throw away the meat and eat the wood.

After the hunt we cooked some up and it was unbelievably good. considerably better than deer imo. Not sure how much variation there is from antelope to antelope but some people sure don't like it.

I've never hunted during the rut, but as far as bad taste due to chasing- most of my antelope have been opener of rifle season where pressure is heavy and the animals get bounced around a lot. The meat always turns out great. Take good care of the meat, get it boned out and cooled quickly, remove all fat, silver skin and hair and it shouldn't be gamey. I have found that most hunters who hate antelope meat are the ones don't take very good care of it.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Thanks for inputs, I never shot one later than September 20 and probably, unknowingly and unfortunately, turned them all into Sausage or jerky, the next trip I will have coolers with Ice ready to go,, the information available 20 years ago when I was shooting them regularly wasn’t available and all the locals I knew in Wyoming did the sausage or jerky with them. Planning on trying to get the kid out around the first week of October for his first Western hunt.

Do they really smell like corn chips? I was supposed to hunt them last year but my hunting partner backed out on me at the last minute. I don't remember where I heard that they had the frito smell, but that is still the one thing I am most curious about.

Do they really smell like corn chips? I was supposed to hunt them last year but my hunting partner backed out on me at the last minute. I don't remember where I heard that they had the frito smell, but that is still the one thing I am most curious about.

Haha, corn chips? They can definitely be stinky on the outside, but I can't say I have ever made that connection.

I always thought they smelled like Doritos.

And the reason some people think antelope meat is bad is because those re the guys that don’t skin them right away. Antelope hair is different then deer or elk in the fact that it is hollow and holds air which retains heat more then elk or deer so with antelope you have to skin them as soon as possible.

swampokie

WKR
No bad meat experiences on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flavor is unmatched...well maybe only by elk. Just read the favorite meat thread poll!

I can smell sage when it's cooking. Like its already got some seasoning on it. ☺

Makes the absolute best summer sausage.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Agreed that the peak rut is usually the middle to late September with first week of October being the second cycle. Usually by then (October) the rifle season has put enough pressure on the does to herd up a little more and the bucks will be around the herds. I find that the bigger bucks will be cruising from herd to herd at this time. At least that has been my experience.
Corn Chips... Yes they kind of do smell like that. However, like most have stated above, the meat is generally good to excellent. I have killed a few bucks that were more gamey than others but still made good table fare when cooked right. If I am worried about the flavor of the steaks etc. I will soak in Coke overnight and then cook with flavored oil. Most of the time Antelope is fine all on its own.

vanish

WKR
Around here, we rate pronghorn meat about 10 steps above elk. I've never experienced the sage thing. If only you could get the amount of meat that an elk gives from a pronghorn ...

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
100% of the goats I shot came from areas of virtually complete sagebrush, quite a few were shot in August during bow season. Never had a tag for the prime grassy areas. I agree with the summer sausage being very good, always attributed it to the processor, may have given praise where it wasn't overly due. Never heard of doritos or corn chips smell and didn't notice it. I do know that time is of the essence when one goes down if it is warm. A buddy had one going green really quick. They are very unique with the hollow hair and if memory serves me correctly, keeping the meat hair free was a challenge.

Ha, Vanish I say that all the time. If an antelope was as big as an elk it would be all I would shoot for meat, the other critters for their antlers

UtahJimmy

WKR
I have found that most hunters who hate antelope meat are the ones don't take very good care of it.

^^^^This!

I have a buddy who couldn't believe how good my antelopes taste. Same guy served me the toughest raghorn elk steaks I've ever had. Almost couldn't eat them.

I love antelope meat. Steaks can be better than elk. Key is cooling them off asap.

Take good care of it and you'll be amazed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk