Antelope in Wyoming Tips, Pointers, Recommendations?

I have never hunted anywhere outside of Utah, and am now starting to explore hunting in nearby states. My uncle and I would like to try hunting Antelope in Wyoming. We don’t mind some back country hunting with camping. We hunt for the meat.

As per the research down so far we would be looking at south southwest areas that seem to provide the most public land.

Any recommendations on areas we should look at, perhaps closest to Utah, that have provides good opportunity to get a tag for, have a good population of antelopes but not necessarily the areas everybody wants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll need some points to hunt the West side of Wyoming. You need to look at the draw odds and find ones that take minimal points these typically have limited public lands but often have walk-in hunting that can be productive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Go shoot some does, $44 each and you can draw two. Then draw two more in the leftover draw. Hit the books then fine tune when the license numbers come out in March.

nrh6.7

WKR
Go shoot some does, $44 each and you can draw two. Then draw two more in the leftover draw. Hit the books then fine tune when the license numbers come out in March.

Didn't realize that was possible. Would love any additional info you could provide.

wytx

WKR
You can apply for 2 doe tags in initial draw then possibly pick up 2 more in leftover draw, probably in a different unit.
Doe tags are random draw and no PP are needed or used. You could apply for a any antelope tag in the areas you're talking about, possibly draw a random tag with 0 PP but most likely not draw and get a PP for next year.
Doe tags are reduced price tags $34 + $15 app fee compared to $ 326 + $15 app fee.
Camping on BLM is pretty easy, find a good spot a set up camp., with few restrictions.

nrh6.7

WKR
You can apply for 2 doe tags in initial draw then possibly pick up 2 more in leftover draw, probably in a different unit.
Doe tags are random draw and no PP are needed or used. You could apply for a any antelope tag in the areas you're talking about, possibly draw a random tag with 0 PP but most likely not draw and get a PP for next year.
Doe tags are reduced price tags $34 + $15 app fee compared to $ 326 + $15 app fee.
Camping on BLM is pretty easy, find a good spot a set up camp., with few restrictions.

You beat me to my question. Thanks for the detailed response. So I've been trying to figure out which unit to apply for my Wyoming cow/calf tag that I haven't looked at applying for antelope yet. This sounds like something I'd like. Not really worried about anything but meat this year and getting my feet wet. Are most of the eastern units pretty easy do make this happen in?

OP
E

Thanks! I will share with my uncle. Hopefully he is in agreement that we don’t need a buck and we are good with a doe. I just want to get some more near in my freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Doe antelope are pretty to get in any unit. Pick one with plenty of tags . We'll get population numbers out in April so wait to apply until after G&F puts out their final tag quotas to apply.
You should be able to find antelope doe hunting fairly close to your cow elk hunt. Maybe an area along the drive. Eastern Wyoming has great doe antelope hunting but pick an area with good access. Private access for doe is not as hard to find as bucks but you really shouldn't need it.

nrh6.7

WKR
Is drawing a doe tag pretty easy as a second choice so can get a point in the process? Not really the priority but just wanting to cover all options.

wytx

WKR
Doe are a separate drawing and do not use or generate PP. You'll need to apply for an any antelope tag or buy a PP later in the summer for next year's draw.
I would apply for an any antelope tag in a good area as a first choice and a decent one as a second choice, chances are you will not draw but get your PP, if lucky you could draw a tag in the random draw with your choices.

nrh6.7

WKR
Doe are a separate drawing and do not use or generate PP. You'll need to apply for an any antelope tag or buy a PP later in the summer for next year's draw.
I would apply for an any antelope tag in a good area as a first choice and a decent one as a second choice, chances are you will not draw but get your PP, if lucky you could draw a tag in the random draw with your choices.

Thanks again for the great info. I'm still figuring out where to put in for a cow elk tag in the next day or two, but I will try and factor the doe tag into my decision.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord