Wyoming Unit 113

Is there a website or a point of contact that I can get for public road usage in this particular unit? Thank you.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Search the forum. Another guy was inquiring last year and went there last fall. He was from out east and should have good info.

smoothie25

Lil-Rokslider
Onxmaps isn't the most accurate when it comes to public roads in that unit. You'll have to get the county maps for Natrona and Johnson to confirm which are county roads. PM if you have an questions on certain roads being public.

COOTER

FNG
Is there a website or a point of contact that I can get for public road usage in this particular unit? Thank you.

I am assuming that you are talking about roads in BLM checkerboard areas.
If you are, I just talked the main WY BLM office last week about the same thing.
He said for the latest information you need to contact the regional offices.
You can get that contact information on their website.

OP
R
Awesome. Thanks guys!! Greatly appreciated. Trying to get as much information as possible before we pick which units to apply for.....thanks again.

madtom

FNG
I hunted it in 2017, and can tell you that 99% of the public roads in 113 are the roads that make the unit boundaries. The only exception is the Light Plant Road in the south central part of the unit that you can drive in a few miles off the highway. It's an ok unit that gets pounded on opening day, but is alright if you go second or third week of the season and are willing to walk in a few miles off the boundary highways.

A warning about county road maps; I know of roads in Johnson Co. WY that are county roads that are not maintained by the county and roads that are named but are private roads. The GIS road map on county road and bridge websites may not indicate which roads are actually public roads for accessing public lands.

And, regarding OnX maps; you can not tell if a road is public or private by viewing their information. Just because it shows a road on the WY GPS chip or phone app does mean that road is public. A case in point; last fall (2017 hunting season) it was determined that 23 road segments shown on the OnX map for the Black Hills of Wyoming were either not public roads or no road even existed where it was shown on the map.

ClearCreek

Efw

FNG
CC is right; I always verify my routes via county web sites, then call an authority like warden and verify again, saving his number in my phone so I can have it at my finger tips in the field. Roads that are private aren’t well marked at all and many that are public are marked private.

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
I've been researching this unit also. Everything I've seen confirms the access issues. It looks like a long hike up to the public land.

I hunted this unit about 6 years ago. We went 3 for 3. That being said, we were also allowed on the Meike (sp?) Ranch and that was quite a big chunk of land. I think that sold and they don't do that anymore. That unit is tough because a lot of the public land doesn't touch the road so access is tough, however we stayed to the east side and didn't try much on the North or west.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I will be hunting 113 again this tear (3rd time) and earlier posters are correct that public access is limited. A lot of the private roads are not clearly marked. The hunting pressure does subside a bit after the first couple days. The Mieke ranch was sold 5-6 years ago and does not offer access anymore.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I know I'm a little late commenting here but I also hunted this unit last year and the road referred to above as "Light Plant Road" doesn't go as far into the unit as it appears to on the GIS maps before it turns into a private road. We hunted the first week of the rifle season and besides the first couple of day (which were very busy) the pressure wasn't awful even with the limited public land. The terrain was broken enough you could get into areas not visible from the road in under a mile in most areas.

You shouldn't have any problem filling as many tags as you guys have in three to four days unless you want a 75"+ goat which I think is very possible but would require getting a few miles in off the road (It's hard for me to walk past 75+ antelope to go look for more somewhere else!).

PS: I am a self acclaimed NOT expert on anything so keep that in mind when reading anything I type...

Nate K

I hunted this unit last year and will be again this year in mid to late October. Does anyone have any information on landowners that might let our group use their property as access to public land. Not interested in paying hundreds for a trespass fee hunt, but rather to just cross through their property in order to access the vast sections of BLM.