Wyoming Unit 102 Public Acces

Hello all,

I am looking for any info regarding Wyoming Unit 102, how is the public access areas? If I put in the work, is there a chance I will at least see antelope on public ground? Any other info you can provide would be great.

COOTER

FNG
Hello all,

I am looking for any info regarding Wyoming Unit 102, how is the public access areas? If I put in the work, is there a chance I will at least see antelope on public ground? Any other info you can provide would be great.

From gohunt
Snapshot
Area 102, also referred to as Buffalo is located in the north-central part of the state near Buffalo. Comprised of high plains desert and forest, this unit contains small amounts of National Forest, BLM and State lands.

Buzz
This area has poor general access to the hunting public. There are a lot of antelope in the unit but a guide is recommended for private land access and better success.

Terrain
This area consists of a variety of grassy or desert-like open prairie, with large basins, creek bottoms and rolling hills that provide opportunity for stalking. Ranch and farm lands provide the most opportunity.

Roughly 463 Square miles
69% public land
Elevations from 4,600 – 13,200 feet

Access
Public access in this unit is poor. It contains several well maintained roads, a few BLM and Forest roads and smaller 2-tracks. It is bordered by Interstates 90 and 25 and Wyoming Highway 196 on the east, County Road 14 on the south, the divide along the Big Horn Mountains on the west and South Piney Creek and Piney Creek on the north.

ATVs may be useful
Be sure to carry a GPS unit with land ownership chip

Harvest is success is below 60%

Do you have any points?
I think you could do better.

OP
H
I do not have any points yet. I was supposed to be going to Canada bear hunting this year but that fell through so I am trying to put something together in a state I don't need points to hunt. Any info you may be able to provide on better units with 0 points would be greatly appreciated. I am going to continue my research as well.

Thanks

wytx

WKR
How bout some doe tags, random draw and you can get 2 of them in initial draw $34 + $15 app fee for one. Pick a good area for access and apply.
Pick those up in a good area for access somewhere close to an any buck area you apply for.

GAPointer

FNG
From gohunt
Snapshot
Area 102, also referred to as Buffalo is located in the north-central part of the state near Buffalo. Comprised of high plains desert and forest, this unit contains small amounts of National Forest, BLM and State lands.

Buzz
This area has poor general access to the hunting public. There are a lot of antelope in the unit but a guide is recommended for private land access and better success.

Terrain
This area consists of a variety of grassy or desert-like open prairie, with large basins, creek bottoms and rolling hills that provide opportunity for stalking. Ranch and farm lands provide the most opportunity.

Roughly 463 Square miles
69% public land
Elevations from 4,600 – 13,200 feet

Access
Public access in this unit is poor. It contains several well maintained roads, a few BLM and Forest roads and smaller 2-tracks. It is bordered by Interstates 90 and 25 and Wyoming Highway 196 on the east, County Road 14 on the south, the divide along the Big Horn Mountains on the west and South Piney Creek and Piney Creek on the north.

ATVs may be useful
Be sure to carry a GPS unit with land ownership chip

Harvest is success is below 60%

Do you have any points?
I think you could do better.

I am curious to know why goHunt describes access as poor if the unit is 69% public land and it contains "several maintained roads"?
I am new to this so I honestly don't know.
What characteristics would goHunt describe as good access?

I am curious to know why goHunt describes access as poor if the unit is 69% public land and it contains "several maintained roads"?
I am new to this so I honestly don't know.
What characteristics would goHunt describe as good access?

Usually they are referring to checkerboards or landlocked public.

Bryan B

FNG
Usually they are referring to checkerboards or landlocked public.

The poor access is probably because the majority of the unit is in the Big Horn Mtns. which is public land and gives it the 69% public land but it's not antelope habitat. Most of the land with antelope is in the eastern part of the unit which has a lot of private land and not a lot of public land and what public there is some is landlocked with no access. Therefore, overall the unit has poor access for what little public land there is where antelope can be hunted.

FURMAN

WKR
The poor access is probably because the majority of the unit is in the Big Horn Mtns. which is public land and gives it the 69% public land but it's not antelope habitat. Most of the land with antelope is in the eastern part of the unit which has a lot of private land and not a lot of public land and what public there is some is landlocked with no access. Therefore, overall the unit has poor access for what little public land there is where antelope can be hunted.

I am not familiar with this particular unit but this would be my guess.

Bryan B hit the nail on the head - he is exactly right!

ClearCreek