Unit 59 Wyoming - when should I hunt?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
First I am new to the Rok slide site-been a member for a while but I think this is my first post. I saw mention of this site over at Kifaru
where I have been a member for years. Cool forum you have here.

I drew a Tag in 59 and am looking to schedule time to go. I have heard the opening is not the time to go.
I have seen this to be true on a Wyo mule deer hunt that opened on a Saturday-it was a circus of lazy road hunters and miscellaneous misfits.

I was thinking of being there for the opening day and if it looks too crazy I would just fish for a few days. I understand the kokanee
are running in Sept with hungry trout right behind and would love to try them for a day or two.

I would think the weekdays would be a little more calm. Season starts on the 20th of Sept-which is a Friday.

I was thinking of being there Friday and again if the unit is too active I was thinking I would just scout and fish until say Tuesday or so.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

philos

Carlin59

WKR
Welcome Philos, new guy here as well but I will share what I can.

I have never hunted 59, but have hunted around Casper for a long time. We used to get caught up in the opening weekend rush as well, and while technically the most nice heads are available at the start, as you mentioned the experience with road-hunters, crowds, etc. can leave something to be desired. Basically, our group has pushed back our hunt later and later, and it seems like the later in the season we go, the better the hunt (overall experience included).

After the deer and elk seasons open, the antelope hunting pressure becomes minimal. Other advantages to hunting later in the season: cooler weather helps with meat preparation/proper storage, strong rutting action, and after the 2nd week in October they start to herd up. This can be good or bad. It can be tougher to get on goats since the sporadic groups of 2-5 gone, there aren't as many "singles" floating around, and more eyes to beat when you find a herd. However, when you do get on a herd, you have the advantage of potentially looking over multiple bucks and field judging them against one-another (a lot easier than judging an individual buck).

I would suggest waiting until at least Oct 1, but your kokanee/trout plan sounds pretty great, too! Either way, have a blast!

Here is an Oct. 7 buck from last year:

View attachment 9036

Cody

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cody

Thanks for the suggestion and info. The attachment would not open however.

Kinda torn between going later (and missing my early deer season at home in SC) or going early to fish etc.

I wish I could go for about a month-that would be best of both worlds.

Carlin59

WKR
Sorry about the pic; still figuring that out! I think I have it now:

Will you be hunting public or private in 59? That could be an important factor for when to go as well. I know those summer-pattern whitetails are fun to chase and the fishing alternative is a great one to have, but if it is a heavily hunted unit and you plan on hunting public land I would probably consider going later.

Also, I completely agree about fall needing to be longer. I would be quite content of 3 months each of Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec in my ideal year!

Cody

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cody,

Nice goat! Thanks for the pic.

I will be hunting public land. I am going to do more investigating but it might be best to wait for a week or 2.
My guess is the weather patterns and fishing won't change terribly much in a week or so.

Thanks again

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many points did it take to draw 59 this year. The fishing is pretty good call the wildlife office and the person over seeing fishing can point you in the right direction

sneek-ee

WKR
My wife drew 59 this year, and she had 7 points.
The unit is huge, I would hunt whenever you get the chance, not only during the week... yeah the people will be worse on opening weekend, but there is tons of area, and a ton of antelope to look over in 59.
I'd do archery though, a lot less people and some good waterholes to sit on there. Better chance before they get pressure.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a quick- but much belated update- on my '13 goat hunt-had a blast and got a decent goat and did some crazy fun fly fishing. I am very appreciative for the suggestions that I received. I have a couple of crappy photos that I'll try and post up.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I actually waited for about 10 days after opening day and I believe it was the right choice. I had the place to myself.

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
philos, let's see some pics! I'm hoping to hunt 59 next year.

jonny5

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
jonny 5

Sorry for the long delay in responding. Haven't been on this site for a few weeks. I have very few pics-was by myself and I am a lousy photographer so I hope this comes through. One pic of the antelope on the ground and one in the bowl:)

Attachments

• speedgoat.jpg
    speedgoat.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 116
Resurrecting this thread, I realize it's old. I should be a lock for a non res 59 tag this year. The opener is on a Wednesday so I plan on hunting the opener, Thursday, and Friday. Do you guys think it'll get hammered those first few days even though its middle of the week. My hope is that you won't start to see a bunch of people until that Friday afternoon. Any experience on this?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes plenty of company early as it's really the first hunt of the year and everyone thinks all the big ones get shot early. Later more hunts are happening so less focus on antelope especially during the week

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've hunted 59 the last week of September before, it was perfect, during the week only seen maybe one hunter a day and tons of bucks. The one day I hunted it on a weekend, I bet I saw 15 hunters and the antelope were much more spooky, if I were you I'd wait a week or two and then go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I didn't read through the posts but around 85% of antelope hunters generally hunt opening weekend. With that said I often scout a bunch before the season and hunt the opening. The bucks are relatively non-spooked before the season so it's a lot easier to get up close to field judging them. I also have a feel for what a whopper buck is that particular year in the unit. Obviously a chunk of the biggest bucks are harvested the first week so that's one big disadvantage to waiting.

I try to scout on cooler days so there are less heat waves to contend with. I often have 1 or 2 bucks in mind for first light on opening morning. A couple weeks after the season you will likely have the unit to yourself....especially if you hunt during the week. Most tags in units are issued to Wyo res which tend to hunt only on weekends (school is in session). Some monster bucks may not come out of their remote, hidden spots until the rut or later in the season. Some units open earlier than others. The rut really kicks in towards the 3rd week in Sept so it sometimes is a little easier sneaking up on monster bucks when they are rutting.

After the first week or 2 in Oct antelope tend to start herding up for winter. It can be tough stalking larger groups of antelope than earlier in the season when they are spread out. Some units have mass migration after the first snowfall....another consideration. Migration can either be good or bad depending upon the unit location and migration patterns. Some antelope winter the same area where they summer so it may not matter. Some units have more pressure than others so the later you go the better chance hunters have thinned out and antelope are calmer.

Obviously lightly pressured private land is tough to beat. There may be more antelope pushed onto private after the first week of the season. Deer rifle season brings out another set of hunters. It's a lot easier to field judge bucks once weather cools down and there aren't heat waves. It can get super hot in Sept so its easier caring for meat and capes when night temps cool off later in Sept and Oct and there are fewer flies to contend with. Capes are a lot thicker in Oct vs early Sept. There are a bunch of things a lot of guys overlook.

Last edited: