Burning Antelope points...Utah or Wyoming?

CoHiCntry

WKR
I'm looking to burn points on antelope in either Utah (9 points) or Wyoming (10 points) this year. Trying to decide which state to pull the trigger on? Looking for any information that might sway me one way or the other. Things like how the herds are doing, better or worse trophy and success potential due to certain factors or even changes coming down the pike with drawing, points, etc.

I'm looking at Utah right now since the draw deadline is approaching. I was previously looking at the Book Cliffs South rifle tag but looks like it took a huge jump in the amount of points to draw. Last year it was 9 for the previous year, and this year looks like 14. So, I guess I'm looking for something else. I'm open to rifle, muzzleloader or archery but usually lean towards the higher success and better trophy potential when I'm going out of state. For example, I can't see burning several years points to shoot an average buck with a 25% success rate during archery season.

Can anyone steer me towards a statewide unit map for antelope in Utah? I can find mule deer and elk but not antelope. I'd like to have a general idea of where certain units are when I'm applying as that might influence where I finally decide to apply. If it's a toss up between a couple units then the one closer to home would win.

Any information or thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'd really like to draw one or the other this year and start burning some points! Thanks...

FURMAN

WKR
10 points will get you into the best units in Wyoming with a special tag and a couple of them with regular. Utah you will need a few more points to get into its best unit. I say go to Wyoming and shoot a B&C animal.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
One thought on Utah is we have had very little snow or rain this winter, like 1/3 of normal. That doesn't bode well for horn growth. Might consider waiting for a better water year.

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
10 points will get you into the best units in Wyoming with a special tag and a couple of them with regular. Utah you will need a few more points to get into its best unit. I say go to Wyoming and shoot a B&C animal.

I would say you’re probably right. One concern with Wyoming this year is how the new fee increases might affect the draw and points needs? Maybe not at all? I hate to pass up Utah then not draw Wyoming and not get to hunt either! Guess that’s the chance you take though. Points are burning a hole in my pocket :D

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
One thought on Utah is we have had very little snow or rain this winter, like 1/3 of normal. That doesn't bode well for horn growth. Might consider waiting for a better water year.

Yeah, I heard that too. Waiting on Utah might make sense. Thanks.

FURMAN

WKR
I would say you’re probably right. One concern with Wyoming this year is how the new fee increases might affect the draw and points needs? Maybe not at all? I hate to pass up Utah then not draw Wyoming and not get to hunt either! Guess that’s the chance you take though. Points are burning a hole in my pocket :D

If it has any effect it will be to increase draw odds in the special and make the regular worse. Obviously this is speculation on my part but I would be willing to bet. I would not hesitate to go the Wyoming route with a special tag. I have seen plenty of B&C bucks in some of the "lesser" units but the better units have higher numbers of them.

Fitzwho

WKR
I would be throwing in for both. Put in for whichever unit you would want in Utah (San Raf North or Book Cliffs South), hoping for luck of the draw there and then finding one of the units in Wyoming that you have 100% draw odds with 10 points in the regular draw (from the quick look I did, you would only have access to 1 more unit by going to Special Draw).

My plan is to hunt Wyoming this year with 2 points, then either hunt every couple years or wait for one of those type of units.