Wyoming unit 63

andyfier

FNG
Anyone ever hunted unit 63 on a type 2 tag? My group will all have 3pp next year and after looking over the 2017 draw odds and success rates it looks like unit 63 is almost a sure draw with 3pp, and the type 2 tag harvest report looks promising (+90%)
Unit 63 isn't noted as difficult public access, and it's closer to home (iowa) than other units we could apply for.
Just seeing of anyone has any advise or guidance on unit 63 before I start ordering maps and getting deeper into this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I personally would not want to hunt 63 type 2. It is a pretty small unit and the type 2 makes it worse. I would look at 48, 73, or 89.

OP
andyfier

andyfier

FNG
I personally would not want to hunt 63 type 2. It is a pretty small unit and the type 2 makes it worse. I would look at 48, 73, or 89.
Thanks. It looked smaller on the map, and the type two tag did cut the unit down in size. I'll check into those other units.
Just looked at my data. Doesn't look like my draw odds for those mentioned units are very good unless I go for a special draw tag.

FURMAN

WKR
Sorry I forgot to mention that. I believe it will be worth every penny.

OP
andyfier

andyfier

FNG
Being that it's a group of us (3) I don't think everyone is going to want to put out 600 bucks and 3 points for one tag. Thanks for the insite though.

FURMAN

WKR
It's obviously not my money but there is not a unit in Wyoming that can be drawn with 3 points in the regular draw that I would waste my points on. I would wait another year if that is the case.

whitingja

WKR
I have hunted 63 type 2. It was good until last year and then they put in a bunch of HMA which has made access horrible. I am now looking elsewhere. Pathfinder ranch owns most of the land which also reduces areas you can hunt.

OP
andyfier

andyfier

FNG
I have hunted 63 type 2. It was good until last year and then they put in a bunch of HMA which has made access horrible. I am now looking elsewhere. Pathfinder ranch owns most of the land which also reduces areas you can hunt.
I thought HMA access was a fairly easy process to apply for permission. I guess I'm wrong again. I might wanna rethink this.

OP
andyfier

andyfier

FNG
Some HMA's have limited number of permits and issued via a draw.
Okay. So getting drawn for a tag and then hoping to get drawn for an HMA seems a bit wishful.

I hunt that area every year. I find it to be a fun hunt. I have killed some good goats, no booners/pope and young but a very good area. Shoot me your questions on particulars.

FURMAN

WKR
What do you consider a good unit for three preference points. Three years is a long time to wait in your life to not just pony up the extra $200. Just my opinion but think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
andyfier

andyfier

FNG
What do you consider a good unit for three preference points. Three years is a long time to wait in your life to not just pony up the extra $200. Just my opinion but think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm not sure what I consider a good unit. I've never been. There's 3 of us. If we could have easy access to public land and tag 3 antelope in a 5 day period we'd be happy.

NoWiser

WKR
Pick any unit that takes 3 points to draw and you should tag 3 antelope in 3 hours if you aren't picky.

wytx

WKR
I could name about 6 areas that can be drawn with 3 PP, all within 2 hours of our house and one of them is the area my B&C buck came out of. Great population numbers and good access, what more could you ask for.
If you want to hunt his year, use those PP and come have fun.

FURMAN

WKR
You can do that on a second choice tag. That is my point. Why spend 3 points? There are B&C bucks in better than half the units in the state. The problem is how many, how many other hunters, how much public land?

OP
andyfier

andyfier

FNG
Is there any muzzle loader specific hunts that are easier to draw? We are all pretty serious muzzleloader hunters