To burn or not to burn? WY 12 pts

To burn or not to burn?

I’ve got 12 points going into the Wyoming 2018 antelope season.

To say I’m frustrated with Wyoming is an understatement. I’ve been applying for unit 114 for the last nine years exclusively and applying with the special tag the last three and I still can’t seem to cash in on a 114 tag.

I’m lookin for some solid advice on whether I should keep after it or jump ship for a different unit.

I’m certainly looking for a trophy antelope that will eclipse my current best Montana 82” buck I harvested by bow. I’ve got a dozen over p&y and will probably pack a rifle for this hunt. I fully realize it’s hunting but I’ve got so much invested in points and applications at this point that I can’t settle for any unit that doesn’t have some serious potential.

I’m from Wyoming and I’ve hunted/guided in several units but it’s been 13 years since then. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Anyone want to join?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Better check your info.

I have max points (12 for 2018) and can draw any hunt in the special draw. Anything over 8 was 100% for 114 special in 2017.
Max for 2017 (11) was 100% in the Regular.

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
If I had the patience to get 12 points I would be in Carbon County. I will be sticking to units I can draw with the special tag and 4 points.

OP
danmayland
Better check your info.

I have max points (12 for 2018) and can draw any hunt in the special draw. Anything over 8 was 100% for 114 special in 2017.
Max for 2017 (11) was 100% in the Regular.

Yea that’s what I thought also but I was wrong!!! I’ve put in for special last three years in a row for 114. I think I must have the worst draw luck ever :(

OP
danmayland
If I had the patience to get 12 points I would be in Carbon County. I will be sticking to units I can draw with the special tag and 4 points.

Any particular unit? Pm me if you would! I battled with that decision last year but because of the hard winter.

wapitibob

WKR
Do you see an 11 point applicant for 114 special in 2017?

attachment.php

You would have drawn with anything over 8 so, you didn't apply to 114, you don't know your point total, or you were bounced from the system. Your app receipt and a quick look at your points on the dept web site will tell you where the problem is.

Last edited:

johnsd16

WKR
Yea that’s what I thought also but I was wrong!!! I’ve put in for special last three years in a row for 114. I think I must have the worst draw luck ever :(

You must be doing something wrong on your app since 114 is 100% with 11pp in either the special or the reg. As Bob said, in the demand sheets as he posted there was no 11pt applicants last year in the special and in the reg there were two that got tags, no applicants with <11 and then 2 of 4 applicants with 10pts got 114-1 tags. Just doesn’t add up. If I had that many points and wasn’t getting the tag, I’d be on the phone with F&G trying to figure out WTH happened.

OP
danmayland
I’ll log in tomorrow if I get time and double check. Im certain I had 11 points last year. I started applying in 2006

OP
danmayland
Do you see an 11 point applicant for 114 special in 2017?

attachment.php

You would have drawn with anything over 8 so, you didn't apply to 114, you don't know your point total, or you were bounced from the system. Your app receipt and a quick look at your points on the dept web site will tell you where the problem is.

I know for 100% certain I’m over 8. I started applying in 2006 the year after I moved to Montana

OP
danmayland
You should be printing pdf receipts for every app and every point you buy.

I do but a recent life event has caused me to not have access to that information at the moment

NoWiser

WKR
You should have been on the phone with Wyoming Game and Fish more than a few times already to sort this out because it's impossible that you didn't draw yet with the number of points you have.

wytx

WKR
Why not apply for the area the new state record came out of?
Lots of better options with that number of PP.

You can find out here how many preference points you have:

The URL you requested has been blocked

My guess is if you applied alone last year you went into the antelope draw with 8 preference points and you were one of the three people that did not draw a license.

Now if you applied with a buddy or two, and they had only a few points your group average may have been far fewer than the 8 points your group would have needed to have a 25% chance of drawing. This could happen if you do, in fact, have 11 or 12 points.

If you applied alone I am calling BS on your claim to have 11 points and applied for an antelope Hunt Area 114-1 license as your first choice.

ClearCreek

OP
danmayland
Folks...I’ll check into my points when I get a free moment. We’re getting off topic. I have been applying solo since 2006. It’s possible I missed a few years but I’m certain I have more than 8 pts. Please offer some solid advice for alternative units to hunt. Thank you