First time antelope hunter!

nbardall

FNG
Guys,
I have spent countless hours in front of OnXmaps and GoHunt over the past 6 months trying to figure out how to attempt this hunt. I am from Ohio and I am trying to take my father who has only hunted in the east on his first antelope hunt this year. I have over 500 acres in eastern Ohio (and a cabin to stay in) with a very good quality of whitetail deer. I would be interested in trading a week at my farm with free stay etc for some help in trying to have a successful antelope hunt this fall. PM me if interested. Thanks for the help!

nidaho

FNG
just go antelope hunting is fairly easy if rifle hunting. bring a good set of binoculars maybe a spotting scope if you only want to shoot trophy bucks. a good tent food and beer if you drink. I like to bring dry ice and butcher in camp, also we bring a hoist and skin as soon as they are to the truck. I don't think I would worry to much about scouting online really no need they are fairly easy to find we just drive around till we spot a herd glass and plan a stalk. temps are usually fairly warm so just be prepared for handling the meat and always get fur off as soon as possible.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed with the post above. Antelope hunting is pretty easy. I would avoid opening weekend tho and practice shooting off sticks and work on extending your range as far as you feel comfortable with.

Gumbo

WKR
Agreed with the post above. Antelope hunting is pretty easy. I would avoid opening weekend tho and practice shooting off sticks and work on extending your range as far as you feel comfortable with.

Agreed it is relatively easy and sticks are a must. I'd be prepared to shoot 300 yards, maybe more in some really flat places. Where are you going? I wouldn't worry too much about the google earth scouting, instead I'd recommend focusing on learning access roads/routes. Goats are pretty visible and are where you find them, so I'd try to learn more about access points and then just use your glass to find goats when you get there.

Dougfir

FNG
Agreed it is relatively easy and sticks are a must. I'd be prepared to shoot 300 yards, maybe more in some really flat places. Where are you going? I wouldn't worry too much about the google earth scouting, instead I'd recommend focusing on learning access roads/routes. Goats are pretty visible and are where you find them, so I'd try to learn more about access points and then just use your glass to find goats when you get there.

Yes. Knowing which roads are open to you is key. Access is your biggest challenge. Talk to fish and game employees in the area, talk to highway superintendants, etc. Also find out if it's legal to hop corners in that particular county of that particular state. Pick a unit that has at least 3 or 4 decent size chunks of public that you can access. Use your feet to get past the crowds, if you're able. Have OnX maps with you and be able to shoot at least 200 yards, 300 is even better. Consider bringing knee pads and leather gloves for cactus protection. If you can make these things happen and you're not overly picky, you should do fine. Have a great trip!

Sturgeon

WKR
I would reiterate the knee pads. Trying to crawl towards an antelope and kneeling on a cactus sucks.