243 for antelope

mcseal2

WKR
243 with a 90gr Accubond will work excellent. I have taken a few whitetail and a lot of coyotes with that combo. It opens fast to begin a wicked wound channel and holds together for penetration. I love the terminal performance of the Accubond in everything I've tried it in.

The only advantage I really see from anything bigger or faster is decreased wind drift and drop at extended range. The 243/Accubond has plenty of terminal performance to do an excellent job as far out as you can put the bullet where it needs to go.

Highknob

FNG
My grandson's youth model 700 rem shoots the 80 grain barnes really well. Did a really good job on 3 or 4 whitetail he's shot with it so far. His wouldn't shoot the 90 etips at all. Just goes to show they like what they like.

desertcj

WKR
Used my .243 last year with Hornady 105gr hpbt. Dropped in his tracks. The biggest problem is the wind drift with the light bullets. The killing power is there.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Glad to see I'm not the last fan of the 243.

I've shot dozens of antelope and deer with it. 100-grain factory ammo and 95-grain Partitions, mostly. I tried some basic, low budget 90-grain Speers for a couple years but they broke up even in antelope, so I switched back to Partitions. No problems past 300 yards. Put the shot where it belongs, and it'll do the trick.

My boss's kid used a 243 on a monster bull elk (green scored 372) at over 400 yards. He hit it in the lungs, it stood there for a minute then collapsed in its tracks. Obviously not a recommended technique, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

I have not gone through all the posts but I am a huge fan of the .243. If I get frustrated with my .300 WSM I will go to my trusty .243. I have killed more Elk,deer, and antelope with that gun than a lot of my others. Great caliber. I like it for its speed. I have had experiences where antelope jump my .300. With the speed of the .243, it just kills and doesn’t do a ton of damage.

67bronco

FNG
Love reading other people besides me love 243's. Ive had a few and now only have a ruger no1b in the caliber. I load 80gr TTSX over h4350 and it will pass stem to stern on a whitetail and not mess up much meat like a reg ballistic tip. Old 100gr core lokts kill fine but mess up more meat tgan the barnes

Don't have a .243, but will use a .25-06 this year flinging a 110 gr AB.

Have thought about a .243 just for the purpose of smaller hoofers like antelope, cous deer, etc.

mtmuley

WKR
My kids used the 95 grain VLD to kill antelope for years. Worked great. Now loading the 80 grain Hammer Hunter. mtmuley

TripleJ

WKR
Our favorite medicine for the .243 is 100 gr partitions. 100 gr Core-lokts have always worked great too, but I have supreme confidence in the partitions.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
My wife used it last year shooting 105s to get her first antelope at about 250 yds. He took two steps and dropped. I’ve used it on two does and neither moved. I wouldn’t think twice about using it again. The 243 and my 257 are about the only two I think about when grabbing an antelope gun.

I'm doing my 1st Antelope hunt in Wyoming Oct 1st. I'm good for 200 yards with Nosler BT 90 gr ammo. .243

It's just more accurate than my 6.5 CM, and much more accurate than my 7mm-08. I'll wait until the wind calms down.. that is my only concern.