Montana 900 Series Antelope Changes

I’m curious to see if anyone else’s plans are going to be affected by the new changes done to the 900 series either sex antelope archery permit being listed as a first and only choice in the draw.

I know myself I always counted on drawing the 900 tag as a second choice if I didn’t draw my first choice rifle tag (as a resident). I usually draw a rifle antelope every 3 years or so but this year I’m burning my points for a better draw unit in Eastern Montana so we can hunt with family. Looking into the future, I’m nervous of the commitment level this forces onto hunters to make the choice between keeping points in the bank or the opportunity to hunt antelope every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I could see it going either way, good or bad for bowhunters. Personally, I put in for the 900 first choice anyway because I want to start on August 15th. I could see this new change making more folks put in for the archery only tag because they don't want to risk not getting a tag. Time will tell I guess, hopefully it won't increase the number of hunters putting in for it.

S.Clancy

WKR
Hadn't seen that, I'm sure people are going to really complain about it considering how much they complain about not being able to draw the 900-20 elk tag second choice anymore (albeit for different reasons). I would think this would benefit rifle hunters more because it's taking applicants out of that pool. That said, I already put in 900 first choice, so I have no argument with the change.

Gumbo

WKR
Hadn't seen that, I'm sure people are going to really complain about it considering how much they complain about not being able to draw the 900-20 elk tag second choice anymore (albeit for different reasons). I would think this would benefit rifle hunters more because it's taking applicants out of that pool. That said, I already put in 900 first choice, so I have no argument with the change.

Agreed with the rifle hunter assessment, but I'd be bummed if MORE people started applying for the 900 and the draw odds go down.

S.Clancy

WKR
Agreed with the rifle hunter assessment, but I'd be bummed if MORE people started applying for the 900 and the draw odds go down.

I think that more people are going to apply for 900. That said, 1st choice apps last year were ~2800. The likelihood
we see that doubling to 5600, which is the current quota, is extremely unlikely.

Gumbo

WKR
I think that more people are going to apply for 900. That said, 1st choice apps last year were ~2800. The likelihood
we see that doubling to 5600, which is the current quota, is extremely unlikely.
I sure hope not, it was working pretty well for me as it was.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
I sure hope not, it was working pretty well for me as it was.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I guess I'm not real worried about it. It will be interesting to see what it does to application stats for 2018.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Antelope are still below objective and rebounding in much of the state. When their numbers get back to peak, your concerns may be ameliorated with more liberal changes.