First time hunting out west, WY 1 PP and indecisive between 3-4 units!

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
Am I over thinking it?

I have found 4 units in WY that I'd be okay hunting in, but what makes you guys decide on one unit over another? Assuming its not a trophy unit and land access is somewhat comparable. I have read mixed opinions on the Thunder Basin grasslands...especially using it as majority of the land access.

I feel like I have researched my butt off, but am having trouble having one unit stand out to me. Are decent access points and just willing to work for opportunities the key with low PP?

I've went so far to make spreadsheets with road notes for access and the acres accessible...

Murdy

WKR
I'd consider saving your PP and going out on a zero point or leftover tag -- but I've only been out once, so take that for whatever it's worth, lol.

When I research a new area a few of the things I look at are access, how much public land, how many tags in the unit, can you get away from roads.

If the 4 units you are looking at all have the same amount of accessible public land. Then I would check and see how many hunters will be hunting it. And don't just look at the tag numbers for the tag you are applying for. Look at doe tags and tags for other species as well. Then if there still isn't a clear winner I figure out whichever unit is the most limited road access. If you have to hike in it will limit a lot of the other hunters.

Good luck

No problem. Sometimes a unit will have more tags/hunters since there are more animals in that unit. But for me personally I would rather hunt a unit with less animals that has a little more elbow room.

I am in a similar spot with 1 pp and looking to hunt WY for a buck. Have you considered the “special draw?” It doubles the tag cost but increases your odds quite a bit.

OP
trslabaugh

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
I have considered it and think about it here and there. I, personally, don't see a unit that just stands out at me with a special draw with just 1 PP.