First time Antelope hunter

Mklebenow

FNG
Looking for advice on left over tags in Wyoming for Antelope. From Wisconsin and have Been out west Mule and Elk in Idaho and Colorado now want to chase the elusive “Speed Goat”. I’m more of a DIY hunter and will be chasing them with a “bow”. Any advice would be super appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mklebenow

Mklebenow

FNG
Understandable the draw has not happened yet. I was reading something that left over draw tags are easier to get. Is that for rifle or is archery near 100% draw?

Bobbyboe

WKR
My advice, don’t wait until the leftovers are available to buy your tag! If your building pts, apply for a hard to draw unit for you first choice, then a guaranteed unit for your second. If you’re looking to just hunt this year without building pts, then Apply for a 100% odds unit with zero pts.

Again, don’t wait for the leftovers. Those units are not very good and have minimal public land.

OP
Mklebenow

Mklebenow

FNG
Thanks for the advice. I know I have time to apply and thinking of unit 25 any advice on that unit. Looks like a fair amount of public and not a lot of roads to access it. Not afraid of putting miles on the boots to get away from the crowd.

2nasty4u

FNG
Once you draw the unit 25 tag you have to purchase an archery permit, I think it's like $15. I don't think there are any archery only tags or units in Wyoming for antelope. I know there are a couple muzzleloader units. There might be some archery only tags, just none that I'm aware of. I've seen antelope on public land in 25 during rifle season. I would guess there would be more during the archery season before they all get messed around with by all the rifle hunters.

wytx

WKR
Curious why 25? Lots of good areas with better access.
Put in this year for a good area and you just might draw in the random draw, if not you'll get a PP.
Leftovers will not be easier to get as both Resident and NR will be vying for those tags, we're all in the same draw for leftovers.\
Get some doe tags for sure, much cheaper and a random draw also.

Sturgeon

WKR
The archery tag used to be $30. If you were to purchase a TYPE 9 tag(archery only) you would not have to buy the additional license. Have you considered South Dakota instead? Archery antelope is cheaper and tags are unlimited and would be a much shorter drive. https://gfp.sd.gov/userdocs/docs/Antelope.pdf

tonarcher

FNG
Another option if you go the leftover tag route,is find a private landowner and pay a trespass fee.Wyoming Fish and Game can provide you with a list of landowners in each unit ,that you can contact and inquire.I did that in 2010 and had 12,000 acres all to myself for a week.

Lots of BLM in unit 25 very little of it can be legally accessed by public roads. Many roads look like they are public but are not. Maps also show public roads continue through private. Most are gated at the private property line.

NDGuy

WKR
Another option if you go the leftover tag route,is find a private landowner and pay a trespass fee.Wyoming Fish and Game can provide you with a list of landowners in each unit ,that you can contact and inquire.I did that in 2010 and had 12,000 acres all to myself for a week.

What did that run you? You can PM me if you'd rather not share.