Archery Antelope for Newbie

I'm thinking of doing an archery antelope hunt this August. Leaning towards Nebraska the week of the opener. Mainly because of the cheap otc tags, that's about the only time I can get away for a whole week. I have 0 points anywhere, and didn't plan on doing this, but I built an extra week of comp time so I'm trying to put this together on the cheap. I want to be able to hunt public land, camp and have a halfway decent chance for success. It looks like the success rate is around 17%, which seems pretty decent for archery. I'm thinking spot and stalk morning and evening with midday in the blind. I've hunted a few species, killed a good number of whitetails with a bow. Never hunted pronghorn, and I'd like to add them to do the list. Any input is appreciated. Anybody ever hunt pronghorn in Nebraska?

Thanks

Mklebenow

FNG
I’m in the same boat as you with first time archery antelope hunting!! From Wisconsin and was thinking Wyoming got some good info so far never thought of Nebraska. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd opt for the 21-A archery tag in Idaho... Unlimited permits, HUGE area to hunt, incredible back drop with mountains in nearly all the units, plenty of goats and hardly any hunters after the first few days. A truck, GPS with OnXmaps and you'd be set. I miss hunting that permit, so much fun has been had with it.

OP
C
Thanks for the info. It looks like similar success rates to Nebraska and a ton more public land. Did you run into many snakes there? I'll do a little more digging.
I'd opt for the 21-A archery tag in Idaho... Unlimited permits, HUGE area to hunt, incredible back drop with mountains in nearly all the units, plenty of goats and hardly any hunters after the first few days. A truck, GPS with OnXmaps and you'd be set. I miss hunting that permit, so much fun has been had with it.

OP
C
Wyoming seems like the best choice. If I could go during rifle season that's where I would be looking, I might buy a Wyoming point and plan a rifle hunt at a later date. I know the Wyoming tag is a little more but probably a much better quality of hunt.

I’m in the same boat as you with first time archery antelope hunting!! From Wisconsin and was thinking Wyoming got some good info so far never thought of Nebraska. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. It looks like similar success rates to Nebraska and a ton more public land. Did you run into many snakes there? I'll do a little more digging.

I've never seen a snake "while pronghorn hunting" in Idaho.

TONS of area with that permit. It's incredible. And with Access Yes land along with all the BLM and other public, it's a great opportunity. Campgrounds all over, nice little towns to find food/gas, etc. I'd do that over NE or WY simply because the area is huge, very few hunters after opening day or so and a really good amount of pronghorn to stalk daily. Good luck.

OP
C
How come there aren't very many hunters that early? Is it because of heat, or too early before the rut to be good?

I've never seen a snake "while pronghorn hunting" in Idaho.

TONS of area with that permit. It's incredible. And with Access Yes land along with all the BLM and other public, it's a great opportunity. Campgrounds all over, nice little towns to find food/gas, etc. I'd do that over NE or WY simply because the area is huge, very few hunters after opening day or so and a really good amount of pronghorn to stalk daily. Good luck.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking of doing an archery antelope hunt this August. Leaning towards Nebraska the week of the opener. Mainly because of the cheap otc tags, that's about the only time I can get away for a whole week. I have 0 points anywhere, and didn't plan on doing this, but I built an extra week of comp time so I'm trying to put this together on the cheap. I want to be able to hunt public land, camp and have a halfway decent chance for success. It looks like the success rate is around 17%, which seems pretty decent for archery. I'm thinking spot and stalk morning and evening with midday in the blind. I've hunted a few species, killed a good number of whitetails with a bow. Never hunted pronghorn, and I'd like to add them to do the list. Any input is appreciated. Anybody ever hunt pronghorn in Nebraska?

Thanks

You are in for a really fun adventure, punched tag or not. I am not sure of the topography you will encounter, but I would plan for both sitting on waterholes as well as spot and stalk. While it may seem daunting at first, spot/stalking antelope into archery range can be done, and gives you another option if the waterholes are quiet, or you encounter rain, etc. that disperses the animals a bit.

Typically, you will have several opportunities throughout the day to glass up antelope, and put a stalk on them. An area I hunt in MT is very rolling and broken, and provides considerable cover for the final stalk. I have been lucky enough to have taken 10 antelope solely by spot and stalk. Another benefit you have is the front part of the season usually gives you more "calm" antelope, if there is such a thing, as they will not have been hunted too much.

Bring a lot of water, and enough ice/coolers to get an animal broken down and cooled off quickly. Also, be very confident in your shooting ability out to around 60 yards when spot and stalk hunting. I have shot them as close as 25, but longer shots are the norm.

Lastly, if this is your first antelope with a bow, take the first legal animal you get an ethical shot at. Any antelope with a bow is an awesome trophy, and the meat is fantastic. Good luck!

Bs1827

FNG
My hunting buddy and I will be doing our first western hunt for WY pronghorn this year and we’re both deadset on getting it done with a bow on the first legal animal that comes into range. We’ve got a couple of points built up going into the draw, so we should be able to land a halfway decent unit. Nebraska is a lot closer of a drive for us, so I’d love to hear about your hunt out there if you make it happen. The Idaho hunt mentioned previously sounds really intriguing as well.

OP
C
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still researching. So far I've talked to biologists in Nebraska, South Dakota and Idaho. Idaho 21-A sounds like something I'd really like. I gained an extra 47 hours of comp time this year so I just started entertaining this idea, and haven't financially prepared much so I need to stay under $600, which kinda rules out Idaho and Wyoming due to tag prices and travel. This leaves camping and hunting in NE, SD, or MT as reasonable options. I think I might dig a little on Montana 900 because eastern Montana is about the same distance as western SD, and NE. Anybody have any input on Montana 900? I read a little last night on this and it sounds like harvest has dropped off a lot there from a high winter kill a few years back. Also I have a ridiculous irrational fear of rattlesnakes, from talking with biologists it sounds like with snake boots as long as I don't provoke one, there isn't much to worry about. Is that correct? With work and other obligations I'm kinda limited to the week of August 20.

Thanks

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still researching. So far I've talked to biologists in Nebraska, South Dakota and Idaho. Idaho 21-A sounds like something I'd really like. I gained an extra 47 hours of comp time this year so I just started entertaining this idea, and haven't financially prepared much so I need to stay under $600, which kinda rules out Idaho and Wyoming due to tag prices and travel. This leaves camping and hunting in NE, SD, or MT as reasonable options. I think I might dig a little on Montana 900 because eastern Montana is about the same distance as western SD, and NE. Anybody have any input on Montana 900? I read a little last night on this and it sounds like harvest has dropped off a lot there from a high winter kill a few years back. Also I have a ridiculous irrational fear of rattlesnakes, from talking with biologists it sounds like with snake boots as long as I don't provoke one, there isn't much to worry about. Is that correct? With work and other obligations I'm kinda limited to the week of August 20.

Thanks

Montana's 900 tag is great and eastern MT has a ton of country to hunt. I don't have the overall harvest stats handy, but I do know last year around 4 of my friends filled tags during the season. I hunt in the SW part of the state primarily, but have spent enough time in the eastern part to know you will get into antelope. Load up the GPS or phone with the right maps, break out the binos, and get ready to cover some ground and have a great hunt. I would keep it all truck camping based, and hunt areas as needed to find game, etc. then move when you need to. There are enough small towns here and there to refuel, get more water, food, etc. along the way.
Also, you can add on an Antelope B (doe) tag for the same price as an A (buck) tag, if that is of any interest to potentially bring home two antelope for the freezer/wall. DM if you have other questions, etc.