Wyoming Pronghorn Handgun Hunt

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the antelope seasons for Wyoming and one in particular caught my eye. Area 107 has a type 0 license which is handguns and muzzleloaders only. It runs from August 20 to September 9. This works great for me because I'm a college student from PA and could get a full week of hunting in before classes start. I also love the idea of using my handgun because it would be a challenge similar to archery getting close enough for a clean shot.

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing yet with the whole draw system, but it looks like the chances are pretty slim of drawing a tag without any preference points. But I don't really have much money to work with. So maybe apply this year and hope for the best and just build up points? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Applepie,
I would suggest doing just what you state... Apply and hope. However, I do take from your post that you might archery hunt. If that is the case then I would suggest looking at an area that has a lot of public land and better draw odds. Then you can try for the draw and hunt with a bow in your early time frame then try with a rifle or your handgun later if you are not successful. Do not dismiss the idea of using your handgun during the rifle season. Of course it will be challenging but not impossible. I would also look into a reduced price or left over tags for does as well.
I would be curious if you are going to school in the Wyoming area or if it is closer to your home town. Of course that will make a world of difference in the time you have.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Applepie,
I would suggest doing just what you state... Apply and hope. However, I do take from your post that you might archery hunt. If that is the case then I would suggest looking at an area that has a lot of public land and better draw odds. Then you can try for the draw and hunt with a bow in your early time frame then try with a rifle or your handgun later if you are not successful. Do not dismiss the idea of using your handgun during the rifle season. Of course it will be challenging but not impossible. I would also look into a reduced price or left over tags for does as well.
I would be curious if you are going to school in the Wyoming area or if it is closer to your home town. Of course that will make a world of difference in the time you have.

I'm living at my home in PA and commuting to school about 45 minutes away. So that's why I was looking for the seasons that start in August. I could probably take a week off of classes for hunting but I would rather not if I don't have to. I do archery hunt but I actually like the idea of using my revolver better since I'm a little more confident in it than my stick bow. I just mentioned that area 107 because it has a season designated to handguns and that season happens to be in August like I am looking for. But of course I'm open to ideas.

How does the leftover system work? I love the sounds of reduced price lol.