Wyoming combo Deer + Pronghorn

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I would like to do a combo Deer/Pronghorn horn hunt in Wyoming. We both have 1 point each and were willing to wait a few years. Anybody have any information about a specific unit that we could get into a good number of both species? We don't desire to hunt just monster animals but a unit with decent animals with a chance of a toad would be cool. All information is appreciated!

Cheers...

NDGuy

WKR
WY G&F website is your friend. Spend a little time going through the data available before asking for a unit to apply for.

Find your units you are interested in and then post on here asking for specific unit help.

It's not a good look to join the forum and your first post is asking about what unit to hunt..lots of people will help you but put in a little work beforehand.

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I agree I'm new to this forum and I never meant to offend anyone. I'm a lifelong hunter and I also have an Ifish account and Archerytalk account. I give out valuable information on both sites no matter how many post someone has logged. I'm 34 I live in Oregon and I truly appreciate any help that's offered. This is a starting point for me. I can do more research after I get some advice.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The lower draw antelope units typically have a reason like limited public ground. A deer tag is region wide so you'll have more room roam after them. I'd pick a antelope unit and go from there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I met some guys from Wisconsin last year over by Wheatland. They had been MD hunting somewhere else, shot a deer or 2 and then stopped and hunted antelope near Wheatland - and successfully also.

It can be done

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to make a dual hunt in one trip. Pronghorn is my main objective because it takes 15 years to draw a good tag in Oregon.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What exactly are you looking for? You need to decide how many points you have to invest in a antelope unit. If you only have one and want to go pick a unit can draw now and get the corresponding deer tag. If you want the best look to the red desert units and region g for deer and be prepared to wait a long time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
Less than 3 points each. Good odds of shooting a pronghorn and deer

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I have been trying to study draw odds and season dates and overlapping deer seasons. I have to admit I am struggling lol. I'm pretty sure than I need at least 3 points to do any sort of decent combo hunt.

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I have my eye on units 20, 21 and 113 for Antelope. Any info would be appreciated

Ok I have my eye on units 20, 21 and 113 for Antelope. Any info would be appreciated

The access to 113 is not as easy as it looks. The only public access it from the south end, so make sure you are willing to make the effort.

ClearCreek

robie

WKR
Have you been here to look at the amount of public land:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Map

I think a combo is very possible but they don't need to be in the same unit. You can honestly get you antelope in a day or 2 max. Its not a hard hunt then spend the rest of your time looking for deer. Or if you are worried about meat spoilage do the deer first and leave yourself 2 days on the end of the hunt to drive around and get your goat.

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been there before but yes I have studied the interactive map. I assumed it would take more than a day or two in the units I can draw. Just because there's very limited access.

robie

WKR
Unless you are after a monster it really won't take you that long. You should see a lot of 70" goats.

If you've never killed one, a 70" antelope is a great trophy. If you are dealing with mixed public/private you will just have to wait for them to get on to public but you will see plenty. I wouldn't stress about the antelope. Most people tell you to lock your bullets up for the first day just so you can look at them and not shoot the first one you see.

Harder to draw units can have 80" goats or can be all public. I went to unit 90-1 a few years ago which took about 4 points. It only took 4 points because of all the public land not because of the trophy quality. It was great to drive all day and never worry about private. That being said I don't need that for the next hunt.

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate your help, I have been reading up on the wy website and I assumed limited access meant it would be a pain to find public land.

My brother and I did it last year with no points. Saw tons of animals. Hunted "limited access" units and were able to find plenty of ground by ourselves. Saw lots of road hunters but a little walking took care of them.

OP
Hun10-freak

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I think I have figured out a couple of units worth applying for.