Decoying

Looks like I drew an archery antelope tag in Utah this year. Anyone have much experience with how decoying works mid/late August? I think I am going to plan on my bigger chunk of time from August 24-Sept 3. I was just curious if I should pick up a decoy or stick with a blind. I am thinking a heads up decoy since it is hands free and I'll probably be hunting solo.

Rackmastr

WKR
I have used a decoy when the rut isn't on and it has 'average' effectiveness. Bucks will check you out but bucks that are already herding up wont do as much chasing and will often round up their does and bugger off in my experience. Satellite bucks and does will come and approach more curious than anything. When you flip the switch and its the rut though, then the decoy is ridiculous and can be a game changer.

Pronghorn are pretty curious overall, but when getting in on big old smart bucks the rut sure makes it a difference in how they respond. If you can get in tight on a herd buck and threaten him with a decoy, they will charge you like nothing you've ever seen haha.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Decoying can be hit or miss as everything else seems to be in hunting!

I have scared more off than I have decoyed in and it can be frustrating. But when it works you are in for a thrill! I have had my best luck with decoying when a herd buck has a good sized harem and there are numerous satellite bucks pestering him and his does, trying to peel one doe off for himself. That leaved the herd buck frantically chasing these lesser bucks away from his harem. If you find this and are able to stalk in close enough and pop that decoy up within 150 yards you are in for a show! The best is if you can get in between him and his does as he is chasing one of those satellite bucks off! Then you are nearly 100% sure you will have an encounter.

If a herd buck has a harem with no menacing satellite bucks around, more often than not he will gather his does and push them off away from you. That’s not to say it never works though. Get in as close as you can and pop that decoy up when they aren’t looking. That will give you the best chances at the game in this situation.

cnelk

WKR
Antelope are fun to mess around with.

A few years ago, I was with my buddy up in WY and he had a doe tag.
We spotted this buck about 1/2 mile away and my buddy says "Watch this..."

He turned his rifle upside down so the bi-pod looked like horns and it got the bucks attention.
He came storming in, circled downwind into less than 100yds - and we were in plain sight.

Sorry, not the best video, but you get the idea - WY Antelope 1 - YouTube

Go have fun - dont overthink it