Wyoming Application Question

TygerJ

FNG
First time actually applying for the draw in Wyoming - have been just buying points for the past couple years.

Scenario: I want to put in for the special draw for my first choice and then have a backup option as my second choice. If I do not draw with my first choice, but I do draw my second choice, is the license price the special amount or regular amount?

Obviously want to improve me odds via the special draw on my first choice but don’t want to spend the extra $300 on a lower tier easy to draw unit as my backup/second choice.

Can anybody help clarify this for me?

Fitzwho

WKR
The simple answer, as I understand it, is yes. You are fronting the special license fee, so that’s what it will cost you even if you draw second choice.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Thanks for the triple confirmation, guys.

Glad I asked because I figured that the differentiation between special and regular meant nothing once it got beyond first choice.

So do the portion of tags that are allocated randomly only go to remaining first choice applicants for that tag...or could hypothetically a second or third choice applicant for that tag get the tag randomly over a first choice applicant?

Last edited:

Sturgeon

WKR
They will evaluate all first choice applications before moving on to second choice. If there are more 1st choice applicants then tags available, there will not be any awarded to any second or third choice in each respective area.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
You remain in the side of the draw you begin, whether that be Regular or Special. So, your 2nd choice might be a lock or not depending on if apply Regular or Special. WY F&G has some good info at their website at the Hunting tab. Points only matter for first choice. Price you pay is locked in based on if apply to Regular or Special.