Wyoming HMA's

Whip

WKR
I know I am late to the game trying to put together an antelope hunt for this year. But I've got a couple of weeks yet, and my buddy and I decided to see if we can come up with something.

We both have three points going in, and are looking at units we think we think we could draw. If I understand it correctly we could consider applying for type 2 tags to increase draw odds and then just buy the archery license, correct? (We would be strictly hunting the archery season dates) We also aren't opposed to applying in the special draw if need be to get a good unit.

Some of the units I have been looking at in the southeast/south central part of the state have some large HMA areas. I think I understand the process and they each have their own set of rules for entry. Does anyone have any experience with hunting these HMA's during the archery season?

Some have limited access permits, so would need to apply after we drew the tag for that unit. Is that pretty easy to do? Since we want to hunt together we really need to make sure we can both get access reasonably close together.

Most seem to have rules that require blinds to be taken down daily. In my experience it often takes a few days for antelope to get used to a pop up blind and that rule would pretty much prevent putting up a couple of blinds on different holes to give them a chance to get used to it. Also, some have rules prohibiting atv use even on the roads. That is potentially a problem with two of us hunting different water holes that might end up miles apart. Unless there is good cell service the guy without the vehicle would be stuck for the day if he happened to shoot an animal early and wouldn't have a way to get meat cooled quickly.

I'm just trying to get my head around how to make hunting one of these HMA's work for us. It sounds attractive to have access to large chunks of land, but there seem to be a couple of minor hurdles. I haven't had much luck trying to come up with private land access, even with a trespass fee. Many of the units we are looking at have large areas of checkerboard land ownership. Any suggestions on how to find those kind of opportunities would also be appreciated. Thanks!

mixed bag

FNG
I've had great success hunting the HMAs.In archery,I have better luck putting up a piece of burlap on a fence within shooting range of a crawl under.Antelope go under fences and leave obvious trails.I have always got shots using this method and it's faster then setting up a blind.I never had luck with blinds by waterholes.I only get to hunt 4-5 days and they seem to avoid the waterhole a blind is set near for that long.My advise is to glass for a day to determine best crawl unders
I have Verizon and always had decent service

JWP58

WKR
Hma's are good, also dont overlook state land. You can always cut up your antelope and start walking if you're separated and the carless getvan animal. Or stash a cooler every day.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Thanks for the replies. Mixed bag, I've sure heard of hunting fence crossings although I haven't tried it myself. I'm sure it can work great in the right situations. I am somewhat surprised that you haven't had luck at waterholes. I've had some excellent success with them in the past, but like I mentioned it does often take a few days for antelope to get used to them. That is the one problem I see on the HMA's - you are not allowed to set up a blind in advance of opening day, and they must be taken down each day. With patience I imagine it can work on the hole you are hunting but you might spend a few days not seeing much. And it pretty much prevents setting up a second blind on another hole as a back up. I usually like to not put all my eggs in one basket.

Has anyone had good success at waterholes on HMA's? Are my concerns worrying about nothing? Is hunting pressure and competition on waterholes a problem? Or is Mixed Bag's technique the best option?

I did come up with an option for communication if we didn't have cell service. I have an InReach and could activate it for the trip. He doesn't have one, but we might be able to borrow one.

Thanks again for the help!

wytx

WKR
Pit blind work too, have to ask about them though on an HMa. A popup blind will work but look at the watrholes and see if you can do what is stated above , put up a piece of burlap behind a fence or panel around the waterhole. Brush blind will work too, made of sage etc..
HMAs are great for hunting but you may have company at a waterhole. If you build a blind someone may be in it when you get there.
Don't break the HMA rules on the atvs. Have some radios for in the field contact.