Over the counter Antelope, Wyoming

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
First time drawing Wyoming Antelope or anything out west. Didn’t understand the process fully and entered Units for 1st, 2nd and 3rd draw that I know will not be successful. I know I won’t get a tag but will get preference point.

So the question is, I should be able to get an over the counter Antelope Tag? It seems that this was easier a few years ago then today. I don’t mind only getting Doe tags also. This will be a learning and experiencing year to scount and learn the process/state. After gathering preference points, antelope/Mule, I’ll plan a more extensive hunt.

I’ll have as much fun fly fishing as hunting so my loose plan is to head to the northern part of the state (Buffalo?) to camp. This I feel maybe the best location to allow for hunting and fishing. Looking at units 20 & 21. From there hopefully I can Fly fish and get a antelope hunting tag.

Any helpful hints or flaws in my plan please let me know. This all started out as a hunting trip but once I found that October can be the best time to fly fish Wyoming then the excitement level went way up.

Thanks for any help provided.

Bryan B

FNG
Leftover WY antelope tags are no longer OTC. You will need to enter the drawing for leftover tags.

OP
C

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m sure everyone who read this thought what the heck is he talking about. I re-read the drawing process 101 and think I get it now.

The first drawing I entered three choices so that I’m sure I won’t draw because I don’t have any preference points. Once denied I get preference points.

After July 21 I then I can apply for leftover rags.

I’ll buy a preference point for next year. Hopfully giving me two for next year.

Simple.

You can only obtain 1 preference point per year, per species. If you don't draw you can obtain one point. Then next year you can apply with that 1 point. That is, unless you are already sitting on one point? If so then you would have 2 going into next year.

johnsd16

WKR
As above, only one point per year, no way around that. Also, you could draw in the random draw. A portion of the tags for each unit go into the random draw where everyone that applied for that unit that didn’t get draw in the PP draw has a single chance. Low odds but someone has to get them.

wytx

WKR
It is possible to have some tags left after the leftover draw, not likely though. They get sold OTC .

OP
C

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’ll just plan on getting a Doe tag this year in leftover draw. I think that should shouldn’t be to hard. Like I stated this will be more of a fact finding trip. Just an opportunity to camp, fish and hunt. From what I read not really any difference between Buck or Doe unless you have PP. Save the money and harvest a doe (or two) and not stress myself out.

I’ll try and build PP for a Mule deer and Analope hunt in the shadows of the Teton, how ever long that takes.

Thanks for the responses.

PGWest

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my tag lat year in the leftover draw for a unit up by Buffalo. Just an FYI the leftover draw application period is June 25-29. The draw results are tomorrow, so they should post which units have leftover tags tomorrow after 10am MT Odds are you'll at least be able to get an antelope doe tag up by Buffalo, units 15, 16, 17, 20, 22, 23 all had leftover tags last year. May only get a doe tag, but at least you'll be able to hunt.

If you are willing to pay for an outfitter area 23 will have over 500 tag available after all the drawings that you can buy "OTC". They are still limited quota tags, but they didn't have enough people enter the drawings. But you have to be careful because the tags that are left over are only good on private land. they are either 23-1 or 23-2 tags. I live here in Gillette and use to hunt that unit till they changed the tags up and moved almost all the tags to private land only.