Wind-proof camping setup for WY antelope?

TheCougar

WKR
I should draw a tag for WY this year, and I’m concerned about my camping setup. I’ve heard that guys had popup campers that had trouble with the wind and most tents will not survive the 40kt winds. My options: popup camper, small tent behind truck as a wind block, or wall tent. Are the winds really that bad?

Elite7

FNG
I haven’t had major wind the last two seasons. If your unit has enough blm and isn’t completely flat you should be able to find a spot with a natural wind block.

muddydogs

WKR
The winds can be that bad depending on what part of the state your in. First thing to consider is camp location, stay off ridges and avoiding the flats will help with the wind, a nice camp spot along a creek, river or on the lee side of a hill usually cuts the wind a bit. Don't see where the wind would be to much of an issue for a tent trailer if you have the necessary supplies to stake out the windward side fold outs. With any tent you'll need to plan on having the cordage and stakes to reinforce the windward side, rocks make good stakes so have a few old bags you can fill with rocks when you get there to use as stakes if the ground is too rocky to pound anything in. 5 gallon water jugs, truck spare tire, ATV parked on the windward side of the tent at night all make good anchors when the WY wind gets a bit breezy.

wytx

WKR
Wall tent is the best option for wind provided you can get it tied down and staked down.
We've had ours up in 60 mph winds with gusts, every rope was singing but it stayed tight. Park your truck on the upwind side.
We get winds that blow semis over on the intestate. Have been in a popup with high winds, the sides will blow out.

We can have very high winds that are sustained all day. Watch the weather forecast, winds tend to be easier to get the forecast right.

wapitibob

WKR
I've only had high wind one day in several years of hunting there, and it was a doozie. It's not something I think about but I'm in a pickup camper.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hadn’t given the wind much consideration. My main concern has always been dealing with the warm weather during antelope seasons. The rains have been my second concern before. Ive seen spots get real slick or greasy without much standing water and even mud tires want to spin in it. That said I am still more concerned about heat and hanging carcasses. Maybe I should make a backup plan for high winds.

Jimss

WKR
The wind howls everywhere I've hunted antelope in Wyo. My preference is to sleep in the back of my pickup topper. It makes it super nice because I have a mobile camp and can camp out where I end up at the end of the day. You better have a solid tent and find a protected spot if tent camping! Also, remember the same is true for your stove and all your camping gear!

As mentioned above have a game plan for your animal once down...and if it rains most roads turn to gumbo mud!

desertcj

WKR
The cab of my truck was pretty windproof! I wouldn't dream of camping in a tent. I took one last year not knowing what to expect. We would have froze to death in the rain/snow AFTER the wind blew it down on top of us! We slept in the reclined front seats of my truck for 7 nights in a row and the first and last thing I did was start the truck and crank the heater. Have fun! Lol. I'll probably go again next year, just couldn't swing it this year.

Edit: Oh yeah, the gumbo mud is no joke! It was a good thing I know how to drive in 4x4 and I'm not afraid of the gas. My buddy was freaking out...lol.

wytx

WKR
A good wall tent, staked out right will take the wind. This was our setup one year on an archery elk hunt. We were hunting the timber above and below our camp and this was the only good spot to set up. We had a whole day and evening of 45-60 mph winds, every line was humming but nothing blew away or down. We did park the truck on the windward side and had to take off one section of stove pipe and the spark arrestor for that day.
Truck topper camping is great for a single hunter. You can put a shelf across the cab half of the bed and have a spot for your stuff on it and sleep underneath .
View attachment 75210

The wyoming wind is something else. Prepare by bringing a solid tent and find a sheltered campsite. Last year we were lashing down a wall tent at 3am during a wind squall at 7k near kaycee. Wind came out of nowhere and we hadnt prepared with guy outs. Helluva nice campsite though except for a south wind 😂😂

Like stated earlier, camp near some sort of wind screen. I moved my 24' camper in 2016 because I thought the wind was either gonna tip it over or rip the top off. We moved next to a small dry creek bed that had a substantial cliff face (25') on the opposite side of the creek. It definitely blocked the majority of the wind.

And have fun shooting in the wind!!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I live 40 miles south of Cheyenne in CO and the wind is serious. It makes me nervous sometimes. I actually sold my pop-up because I couldn't risk leaving it up overnight in the yard. If I was antelope hunting I would sleep in the back of my truck with a topper or use my truck for a wind block and sleep in something like a Kifaru Sawtooth. It's doable even with a wall tent, you just need to be selective about where you set up. Find a hill to get behind or some structure and it will help a lot.

I have hunted antelope in Wyoming about every year for the last 32 years and I have not had an issue with the wind. It all depends on where in WY you are hunting.

On second thought, yes the wind here is terrible so don't think about moving here ;>)

ClearCreek

desertcj

WKR
I have hunted antelope in Wyoming about every year for the last 32 years and I have not had an issue with the wind. It all depends on where in WY you are hunting.

On second thought, yes the wind here is terrible so don't think about moving here ;>)

ClearCreek

Lmao, you must have about the only wind free antelope honey hole in the entire state...

Edit: You live in Wyoming? Your "Issues" with wind are probably vastly different than everyone else.

Lmao, you must have about the only wind free antelope honey hole in the entire state...

Edit: You live in Wyoming? Your "Issues" with wind are probably vastly different than everyone else.

I do live in WY, on the east side of the Bighorns, and I typically hunt antelope a few miles from my house. While the wind can blow here it is not as bad here as it is 100 miles to the south (Casper area).

If it is real windy I just don't go hunt that day, but that has only happened a hand full of times.

ClearCreek

Bobbyboe

WKR
I have found that the most wind proof set up is a nice motel room! HaHa.

I like staying in a motel because you can come back, clean up, unwind and recharge for the next day. The 3 units I have hunted have been close enough to lodging that I didn't think twice about buying a room. My 2 cents.