Who's Given Up On Lighted Nocks?

JDZ

WKR
I'm about to give up on lighted nocks. Nockturnals are very loose on the string and shoot very inconsistent groups. Ignitors are extremely tight on the string and shoot high at close range. Lumenocks are a general PITA. They all add 10+ gr to the wrong end of the arrow.

What to do?

I'm about to give up on lighted nocks. Nockturnals are very loose on the string and shoot very inconsistent groups. Ignitors are extremely tight on the string and shoot high at close range. Lumenocks are a general PITA. They all add 10+ gr to the wrong end of the arrow.

What to do?

Doing away this year for every reason you’ve listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR

What to do?
Got rid of mine because it the weight issue, found my groups tightened up.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Elc1973

FNG
Tried using the nocturnal and they rattle in my quiver enough to annoy me. I keep wanting to use them but the dang noise drives me crazy when I'm shooting!!

Thess87

WKR
I use nockturnals and love them. As far as nick fit I just treat it just like any other arrow nock and reserve my string to fit properly.

Trial153

WKR
Personally the positive I seen with them was finding my arrow easier after a pass though, and really 9 out of ten times that isn’t an issue as it’s sticking in the dirt at the shot. I have a few nockturnals and in all honesty they work pretty good for what they are. That said when I use them up I won’t be replacing them with anything else. Regular nocks work just fine.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only time I use lighted nocks is for long range tuning so I can see the arrow flight. But the Nocturnals "smash" onto the string instead of snapping onto it, and I hate that. So I never shoot them outside of that tuning.

rcairney

FNG
I have shot nockturnals for the last few years. Honestly, I liked them for misses more than anything. Shot a at a buck a three years ago and was sure it was a good shot but couldn't find the arrow, and only a speck of blood. After searching for an hour or so, it got dark and that lighted nock was like a lighthouse in the woods. Found the arrow with zero blood on it, and realized I shot low and just gave him a haircut on his bottom side. Now that damn deer shows up on my trail cam every year and is a beast, but wont show his face during shooting light. Either way, that was about the only time I was happy with them, so this year after switching to BE Spartans with their H nock, I'm a lot happier.

Brendan

WKR
A couple people have mentioned this above, but anybody commenting that they're too loose or too tight: you need to re-serve your string to get proper nock fit if you want them to work as intended. If that's too much work for you and they don't fit right, don't shoot them. I've had to do this for standard Easton nocks depending on the bow / string.

Side note - buy a $20 serving jig, a spool of the right size/type of thread, and you've got what you need as long as you have a way to hold your bow steady while you do it...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Changing my serving every other week depending on what I'm shooting isn't in the cards for me. I'd just use them smashing the string before I'd do that.

But what I don't understand is why so many nocks are different than standard serving. I've had probably a dozen different strings from factory to aftermarket by 1/2 doz different makers, and the servings are all the exact same size. Why can't the nock makers standardize?

I went back and fourth for a few years and just seemed like I could never be happy. I finally made my mind up I was gonna find the right combination of lighted nocks and standard nocks that fit and shot the same. I tried a bunch!
In the end I'm shooting diy matched weight Easton x nocks and nocturnals.

In 2016 I made a poor shot, on a big buck, in a laurel choked hell hole, and after hours of searching finally seeing the light got me close enough to find him.

If money isn't a concern you can just buy Firenocks and their matched nocks and reserve string for a perfect fit.

It's not just serving fit that's an issue but also the fit between you tied nocks (or dloop).

Brendan

WKR
But what I don't understand is why so many nocks are different than standard serving. I've had probably a dozen different strings from factory to aftermarket by 1/2 doz different makers, and the servings are all the exact same size. Why can't the nock makers standardize?

I'll pile on - why the hell did I have to tear the serving off a new Hoyt because Easton Axis Nocks were too tight? That right there is pretty mind boggling...

Beendare

WKR
I shot Nokturnals for awhile a few years ago. Broke a few of them.

I had one 1/2 mile stalk on a hog...got to 20yds...... layup shot and the arrow only made it 10 yds when the nokturnal broke on the shot. Of course it sounded like my bow exploding....didn't do much for a followup when the hogs were running for cover.

So I gave up on them....but have heard they have beefed them up since then.

kcm2

WKR
I have a 5 arrow quiver. One carries a blunt or judo, the other carry broadheads. One of the broadhead equipped arrows has a lumenock on it. For most shots, a lumenock makes no difference in accuracy. If it does, shoot one of the other arrows. YMMV.

OP
J

JDZ

WKR
335be176c4ce94a407e42c2fdf208ab1.jpg

In photo, At 20 yards, Regular X nocks are okay.
Nockturnal okay.
Ignitor high and right.

When I move back to 60, the Ignitor nocks shoot pretty much right with my X nocks. The Nockturnal shoots about 6 inches low and very inconsistent.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll pile on - why the hell did I have to tear the serving off a new Hoyt because Easton Axis Nocks were too tight? That right there is pretty mind boggling...

That's exactly what I'm saying. But I would have changed the nocks, not the serving. I hate X-nocks.......and Nocturnals fit the exact same way.......they smash onto a string/serving instead of snapping on. Bohning A-nocks actually "snap" onto every new stock string/serving I've had.

I used X-nocks for months years ago and the nocking point became flat on two sides from all that smashing.

If you buy right before hunting season and don't shoot them more the a few dozen times I'd trust them but they wear out quickly especially nockturnals. I'm done with them. I've heard the firenocks are great though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk