Rage Hypodermic Trypan opinions

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from a hunting trip and the grim reapers are not strong enough for my satisfaction. I saw the hypodermic trypan and saw some pretty nice reviews on YouTube.

what do ya'll think of the trypans? I shoot 82lbs 30" 355IBO 575 grn arrow at 285fps.

I shoot a 125 head now so only drawback is going to 100 head.

I wanna shoot everything from Turkey to whitetail to elk to moose with this head. (Will probably never get a shot at a moose though)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CX5Ranch

WKR
I've killed several elk with the hypodermic. I use the 1.5 blades. I usually just cut the ends of the blades off with a die grinder.

Is trypan the new model I'm not familiar with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Why do you say that the GR's aren't strong enough?

I really want to try the Rage heads but every time I see a test of them it seems that broken blades are the norm.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you say that the GR's aren't strong enough?

I really want to try the Rage heads but every time I see a test of them it seems that broken blades are the norm.
because I shot two animals with it last week and full passthrus with blades broken off and bent

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed several elk with the hypodermic. I use the 1.5 blades. I usually just cut the ends of the blades off with a die grinder.

Is trypan the new model I'm not familiar with it.

I think it's a new model. after speaking with rage rep she told me the trypan is a titanium ferrule "more BA looking blades" and a single use shock collar as opposed to the three shot shock collar.

Brendan

WKR
Rage Trypan was new last year. Blades are also a little thicker than the standard Hypodermic. Haven't used them myself but there should be plenty of reviews on AT telling you they either suck, or they're the BEST broadhead ever. I am curious about them myself.

Grim Reapers: I got bit by a fatal steel that didn't open on a whitetail last year. Just over a field point sized hole, but luckily it was a double lung. I watched him bound 30-40 yards, then slowly walk out of sight. Waited a couple hours to go look, fortunately he was dead about 10-15 yards from where I last saw him.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I have never had a blade break in a deer or elk. 3 elk, many deer shot with them. Now you can ruin them in a hurry but that's with any broadhead. I do like them

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had a blade break in a deer or elk. 3 elk, many deer shot with them. Now you can ruin them in a hurry but that's with any broadhead. I do like them

ya there is a YouTube review of a trypan going through a metal 55 gallon drum lid that might have sold me on them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Grim Reapers: I got bit by a fatal steel that didn't open on a whitetail last year. Just over a field point sized hole, but luckily it was a double lung. I watched him bound 30-40 yards, then slowly walk out of sight. Waited a couple hours to go look, fortunately he was dead about 10-15 yards from where I last saw him.

Are you sure it didn't open inside of him? On my bull two years ago there was a small entry hole and just a FP sized hole on the offside because the tip hit up against the offside elbow and stopped. The blades didn't even make it through the offside hide, just a hole the size of the tip. So small entry, tip sized hole on the offside, no blood trail, but he dropped 37 yards from where he was hit in about 2.5 seconds. Pretty sure his insides were torn up pretty badly. Lots of blood out just the FP sized "tip hole" after he fell. And he also blew a bunch of blood out of his nose and mouth.

Attachments

• 100_3258.jpg
    100_3258.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 76
Killed an Elk with one last year and part of a blade broke (right where it looks like it would) and I'll be using it again this year. Even if both break there, it's still as big as most fixed blades. my.02

Brendan

WKR
Are you sure it didn't open inside of him? On my bull two years ago there was a small entry hole and just a FP sized hole on the offside because the tip hit up against the offside elbow and stopped. The blades didn't even make it through the offside hide, just a hole the size of the tip. So small entry, tip sized hole on the offside, no blood trail, but he dropped 37 yards from where he was hit in about 2.5 seconds. Pretty sure his insides were torn up pretty badly. Lots of blood out just the FP sized "tip hole" after he fell. And he also blew a bunch of blood out of his nose and mouth.
I had entry and exit holes that showed it didn't open - had a complete pass through. I've heard people say that there were issues with the fatal steel for a period of time, pretty sure Aron and Frank talked about it on Kifarucast at one point.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I had entry and exit holes that showed it didn't open - had a complete pass through. I've heard people say that there were issues with the fatal steel for a period of time, pretty sure Aron and Frank talked about it on Kifarucast at one point.
ya they did haha they didn't care for it

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I do remember reading about some "spring" issues with their early production. Those heads I bought from you I think had the early springs and cups. I called GR and they sent me the new springs and cups and now they're just like the newer ones I bought.

I don't even know how these over the top mechanicals can't open on the hide when entering and not leave giant holes, but I've heard many examples of small entry holes. The NAP Spitfires are similar and the entry hole on the bull I shot with one of them, I could have put a baseball bat handle into, and had a ridiculous blood trail but still went about 80 yards.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
*update I just ordered 6 of them for elk season this year. as well as a hog that's been showing up on the game cameras

CX5Ranch

WKR
If you are talking aboutordering the rages, I strongly recommend either ordering the 1.5 blades or making them yourself. (for elk) I just think the 2" are too big for elk.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
If you are talking aboutordering the rages, I strongly recommend either ordering the 1.5 blades or making them yourself. (for elk) I just think the 2" are too big for elk.

I am confident in my setup to handle 2" rage through an elk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And after using the 1.5" cut Ulmer Edge, I'm convinced that 1.5" is too small on elk. Liver and lung passthrough quartering away and the holes closed up and stopped bleeding. The bull died, but it took two days to find him after last blood.

Brendan

WKR
I do remember reading about some "spring" issues with their early production. Those heads I bought from you I think had the early springs and cups. I called GR and they sent me the new springs and cups and now they're just like the newer ones I bought.

I don't even know how these over the top mechanicals can't open on the hide when entering and not leave giant holes, but I've heard many examples of small entry holes. The NAP Spitfires are similar and the entry hole on the bull I shot with one of them, I could have put a baseball bat handle into, and had a ridiculous blood trail but still went about 80 yards.

The springs has to be it on the Grim Reapers. I was shooting 75 lbs / 29" and a ~490 grain arrow and hit a small-ish whitetail broadside at about 15 yards. Maybe it was cruising along with too much energy? Is that possible?

Spitfires is the one mechanical I feel like I should just keep using. But then again, who knows if they've changed them to the point where they don't work the same.

This year it'll be Killzones and Spitfires - old stock and I'm only hunting Whitetail and Bear.

I do like the look of the Trypans - look up the video of them shooting a steel drum with one...

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
The springs has to be it on the Grim Reapers. I was shooting 75 lbs / 29" and a ~490 grain arrow and hit a small-ish whitetail broadside at about 15 yards. Maybe it was cruising along with too much energy? Is that possible?

Spitfires is the one mechanical I feel like I should just keep using. But then again, who knows if they've changed them to the point where they don't work the same.

This year it'll be Killzones and Spitfires - old stock and I'm only hunting Whitetail and Bear.

I do like the look of the Trypans - look up the video of them shooting a steel drum with one...

ya I saw that video! I can't wait for the chance to get on a black bear

HookUp

WKR
Might look at the G5 dead meat. Probbaly one of the most under rated broad heads out there.