Hunting arrow weight and speed

Boreal

WKR
I just finished building the new hunting arrows for this season. VAP TKO 300 spine cut 28.25 from nock throat. 90 gr stainless inserts, 125 gr points, Beiter Hunter nocks, 3x AAE hybrid vanes. Total weight 511 gr. Getting 268 FPS from my Hoyt Carbon Defiant, 70#, 29.5” draw. These are flying like lasers and are quiet. Getting excited to get these to the mountains this fall!

What’s your hunting setup this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easton axis 260 100 grains of brass aae max stealth bands and a wrap I think was 570 with a 100 grain head out of a carbon defiant 34 31” draw with 80 pound limbs they r moving pretty good haven’t got a speed yet probably over kill for midwestern whitetail but I was hoping to go on an elk hunt this year that fell through

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Victory VAP 300's with stainless outserts 100 gr head, Total weight of 461 grains and Mathews Triax @ 28.5" 70lb slings them at 291 FPS.

TBarron

WKR
280 4mm FMJ double deep six inserts 150g VPA BH will collars cut to 28.25” 3 blazer vanes. 576g total getting 282 FPS out of my Hoyt RX1 with 80lb limbs and 30” draw. Going on a grizz hunt so I went a heavier this year. Blowing big chunks out of the back end of my block target. Can’t wait to see this set up connect on something.

FlyGuy

WKR
Just went to the Valkyrie system this year. 300 spine, 225 grain head, 4 fletch, 496 total weight. 28.5" draw on Mathews Halon 70#, shooting 269. So much flatter than I expected it to be.

Hoping to run one through a Moose in Idaho this September (and anything else I come across, lots of tags in my pocket this season!)

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

chuckq777

FNG
Easton axis 300 27” 50gr brass inset 125 BH 4 fletch total 520 grains.

Elite Ritual 28.5 71.5# not sure on speed

For my 29" 70# Bowtech Experience im running 29" Gold tip velocity xts 300 with the acculite insert with 50 grain fact weights (61gr) 100 gr BH with fusion 2.1 vanes with a reflective vinyl wrap. that one is 462 grains

im running 28" Easton Bloodline 330s in my 28" 67# Hoyt Nitrum with the 50 grain brass inserts, 100 gr BH and NAP quikfletch twisters. that arrow is around 432 grains.
used on target to dial in both setups. i have a van handle death grip on the bowtech so i can shoot it an inch longer for more speed

NYSKIER

WKR
A lot of heavy setups on here I'm coming in at just around 430 grains with my Victory RIP TKO's. May make an outsert change to bump my weight up to 470-480 not sure yet arrows are flying so well I may just stick where I am.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If I was shooting deer I would go lower but I hunt exclusively elk with archery. There’s not much argument for a sub 500 grain arrow. My 30 yard pin on my single pin slider allows point on from 5-35, variation of 2” high to 3” low (35). Hard to argue.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What’s your hunting setup this year?

Not sure yet. I'm waiting on my fourth set of limbs since last August for my PSE Freak. But I was shooting a GT Kinetic XT 200 (520gr) at 295fps. If that doesn't work I'll be back to my 12 year old Old Glory shooting a 500gr arrow at 285fps.

Vap TKO 300, 28" with stainless outs and 200gr Abowyer Single bevels with 3" vantec super spines. 65.5# at 30.5" draw. 580gr total w/21% foc. Super quiet and flying greeeat!

Last edited:
I've been looking at picking up some of the VAP TKO arrows a couple on here have mentioned. For those shooting these arrows how have the stainless half out performed? Any durability issues? I really like the micro diameter arrows but have struggled with finding a good insert system for them. The VAP TKO 300 spine with that heavy half out seems like a perfect blend of weight and FOC for my setup.

Prime Centergy 28.5 74# would push those arrows around 270 fps.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
I really like the TKOs. This is the first year I’ve gone with the stainless insert. The aluminum actually worked well for me, but after a year or so shooting fairly regularly they did end up out of true. The stainless are dead on with the new arrows, and the extra weight forward has quieted my bow and as I said, these shoot like lasers. I’ve got every confidence, but time will tell.

I've been looking at picking up some of the VAP TKO arrows a couple on here have mentioned. For those shooting these arrows how have the stainless half out performed? Any durability issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been looking at picking up some of the VAP TKO arrows a couple on here have mentioned. For those shooting these arrows how have the stainless half out performed? Any durability issues? I really like the micro diameter arrows but have struggled with finding a good insert system for them. The VAP TKO 300 spine with that heavy half out seems like a perfect blend of weight and FOC for my setup.

Prime Centergy 28.5 74# would push those arrows around 270 fps.

i had some of the first gen tkos that i set up with my backup bow with the aluminum outserts and didnt really care for them. maybe its the micro diameter shaft or outserts but they seemed to get wobblier quicker than usual. i shot a ewe too with them and penetration was just so so but it could have been my shot angle. maybe the second gen tkos are btter though.

MattB

WKR
Injexion 340 w a 125 gr point. Probably around 475 gr. and probably about 260 fps.......but I know my FOC to the second decimal point.

LostArra

WKR
If I was shooting deer I would go lower but I hunt exclusively elk with archery. There’s not much argument for a sub 500 grain arrow. My 30 yard pin on my single pin slider allows point on from 5-35, variation of 2” high to 3” low (35). Hard to argue.

Why not 500gr for deer? Worried about over-penetration?:)

I'm relatively new to the compound side of archery but for decades a 500 grain arrow at well under 200 fps is a gold standard from a recurve or longbow for any big game but compound shooters with much more efficient/faster rigs get into discussions about 500 gr being too heavy. I don't understand why unless it's a trajectory issue at distances I don't consider while hunting, compound or traditional.

bsnedeker

WKR
Why not 500gr for deer? Worried about over-penetration?:)

I'm relatively new to the compound side of archery but for decades a 500 grain arrow at well under 200 fps is a gold standard from a recurve or longbow for any big game but compound shooters with much more efficient/faster rigs get into discussions about 500 gr being too heavy. I don't understand why unless it's a trajectory issue at distances I don't consider while hunting, compound or traditional.

Nonsense...I shoot a +500 grain and I take 2-3 whitetails a year. If a whitetail is going to jump the string he's going to do it whether you are shooting 300 FPS or 280 FPS. You just need to wait until they are unaware and make sure they are close enough before you loose an arrow.

Brendan

WKR
I like the ~500 grain mark plus or minus for 70 lb draw weight / 29" DL. I think if you're shooting a lot shorter DL, or less poundage, I'd certainly consider going lighter to pick up speed, mainly for pin gaps.

rcairney

FNG
Black eagle spartan300 spine@ 28 7/8" carbon-to-carbon, 200gr iron will head, 4 fletched AAE MAX Stealth vanes totaling 555gr. Shooting my Halon32 with 28.5"draw @ 70lbs. It is shooting lights out right now, but I am going to experiment with a 250 spine to see what happens.