Which insert weight

Hey guys looking at putting some new arrows together. I recently fletched some new Easton axis arrows with some 3” q2i fusion vanes. They’re cut to 28” and have a 300 spine. I’m debating on the insert weight. I have the brass insert and I’m not sure if I should break off the extra weight and use a 50 grain insert or leave it and use a 75 grain insert. I’m planning on using 100 grain heads and am shooting an elite synergy at 70 lbs, 28 inch draw.

I know this would be late timing for some of the early archery hunts, however with moving to a new state I unfortunately don’t have an early season archery tag and will be helping friends and family out. This would be for a January Muley/Coues AZ OTC hunt and mule deer mostly in the high country moving forward as I’m mostly a mule deer guy.

Interested to hear everyone’s thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That arrow will be plenty heavy even if you used the aluminum inserts IMO. Personally i would do the 50gr over 75 if your wanting to use them. There isnt going to be a real big difference either way.

Trial153

WKR
Youd be fine out of a synergy with the 75 grain inserts, they are very mild and tune well with a little weaker spine shaft.

WYCFM1

WKR
Well there’s a huge F.O.C. trend/craze going on right now so a lot of replies are gonna say put 75g brass inserts with 125g or 150g tips. Your 300 spine arrows are very durable at only 28” length so it’s very possible with the right tuning done to the arrow you could should very well with a higher FOC. However, you mentioned hunting mule deer. You have an amazing arrow right now at 10.7 gpi. So all together you’ve got a nice hefty arrow shaft which will work amazing for putting mulies and elk on the ground.

IMO if your really heavy at the front of your arrow, the nock of your shaft with vanes is gonna steer around really well, BUT if your shooting in the field at an animal and your arrow catches a crosswind before impacting the animal, that nock could easily move left or right and not impact the animal directly in line with your broadhead, well then you’ve lost a ton of energy and your penetration might not be maximum.

I think your perfectly good to use the 75g inserts and 100g tips to get that front of center percentage in the right area to make it more easily tunable to your liking. You definitely are good on arrow spine.

WYCFM1

WKR
I also shoot the axis 300. I’m running 100h tips and 50g inserts. Did not take long to tune at all.

Jess

FNG
Im using that same shaft with the 75g insert, 4 fletch pro max vanes total arrow weight with 100g point came in at 513g shoots great.

WYCFM1

WKR
I recommend AAE max stealth vanes

OP
Bowhunter50
Thanks guys for the input. I was originally leaning towards 50 grains up front but now I’m thinking 75 grains. I’m sure they’ll shoot great and put animals down either way. Does anyone have experience removing HIT inserts? I would think they’d be near impossible to remove. Just in case I change my mind...

Trial153

WKR
Thanks guys for the input. I was originally leaning towards 50 grains up front but now I’m thinking 75 grains. I’m sure they’ll shoot great and put animals down either way. Does anyone have experience removing HIT inserts? I would think they’d be near impossible to remove. Just in case I change my mind...

Difficult but not impossible.

Slide a drill bit down the back end of the shaft, the heaviest that will fit and slide freely...then use it a swing hammer to knock it out. It works but its a pain in the ass.

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider

Or install with hot glue and if you need to remove heat an inserted field point, the insert will get warm enough to remove in my experience.

edit: and like others i'd recommend 50gr insert for your set up. Good luck!

OP
Bowhunter50
Thanks for the advice guys. Does anyone have an idea of the speed I’d get out of my Synergy at 28” and 70 lbs with a 490 grain arrow vs a 515 grain arrow? I’m sure it’s not a huge difference. I obviously don’t care too much about speed given my Bow choice. Just curious

ahlgringo

WKR
Rough estimate is 3/g per fps. So 25 g diff maybe 8 fps

Rough estimate

If you don't mind burning a couple of arrows do a couple of each, and see what your bow likes. I did 3 with the aluminum inserts behind the 75g brass, and 3 with just the 75 gr brass, both with wraps and blazers, 29" overall arrow length, and 70#. I did not notice enough of a difference at least to 30 yards in my back yard to want to go through the hassle of using both inserts. I did notice about a 3" lower point of impact from my Black Eagle Rampages with the SST half outs at 30 yards. Both arrows were 300 spines.

OP
Bowhunter50
Nock On Axis Pro Series - Nock On

Hey guys found this the other day. John Dudley included a chart specifically for the axis with the brass inserts. It basically confirms what’s been said here. 50 grain and 75 grain brass inserts will work with Easton axis 300 spine at 28 inches. I’m guessing he’s assuming a 100 grain point is used. Does anyone know for sure? I haven’t read anything that says specifically what point weight...

Thanks again to everyone that has commented

gelton

WKR
Just now seeing this but I shoot almost the exact setup except for .5 in DL:

Elite Synergy @ 70lbs and 28.5 inch draw with arrows cut to 28inch.

I shoot BE Spartans in .300 spine with a 26grain insert that comes with the spartans with an additional 30 grains insert and 125 grain heads. So 181 grains up front.

When I first started bare tuning they showed signs of being slightly weak. Took a 1/4 turn off the draw weight, made some slight adjustments to the rest and they are flying like darts for me now.

gelton

WKR
Thanks for the advice guys. Does anyone have an idea of the speed I’d get out of my Synergy at 28” and 70 lbs with a 490 grain arrow vs a 515 grain arrow? I’m sure it’s not a huge difference. I obviously don’t care too much about speed given my Bow choice. Just curious

For almost the exact setup as you except a 1/2 inch longer on DL I am only getting 258 fps out of a 478 grain arrow. Not very impressive but they fly great.

RyanC

WKR
I just got my arrows set up......5mm axis 300s, 28.5 inches, full 75g brass insert, 3 blazers, 125 grain points.
Total weight is 535 grains...shoot 255 fps out of my Mathews Triax 70lbs, 28.5 inch draw. Arrows are flying great!!

That said, you would be good with 50 grain or full 75 grain insert. Just all depends on what you want. I wanted to shoot a heavier arrow so I opted to keep the full brass insert.

Ryan

OP
Bowhunter50
Felton and RyanC. I really appreciate you guys sharing your experience with similar setups. It makes me feel better moving forward. Sometimes I get analysis paralysis. I think it has to do with my job. I have to be very analytic everyday about small things and it transfers over to Hunting. I guess it’s a good and a bad thing.

Those are the speeds I’m expecting. I’ve been hoping to end up at approximately 260. I’d rather have a quieter Bow with a heavy arrow for better penetration and I’m obviously after a smoother shooting Bow with the Synergy.