Fixed vs Slider sights

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to upgrade my sights from my stock package deal PSE sights. I don't know a ton about sights so I'm not sure about the pros and cons of either.

I am looking at Black Gold and am deciding between the Widowmaker and the Ascent Verdict.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brendan

WKR
I don't know anything about black gold, I shoot spot hogg, but here's what I like in a sight:

5 Pin Fixed head on a slider. Pins and pin gapping for short range, dial for long range and practice
Custom pin sizes - larger for short ranges, smaller for longer
Sight Light Compatible (Optional - but nice in certain scenarios)
Micro Adjust windage and Elevation
2nd and 3rd Axis Adjustable
Dovetail sight or sight radius adjustments for torque tuning and adjusting peep alignment

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Custom pin sizes - larger for short ranges, smaller for longer

I much prefer the opposite. Especially when I throw 3D into the mix. At close range I want to aim as precise as possible at those dime sized center rings and want a small pin. At distance the smaller pins kind of disappear, so a larger pin is easier for me to see and get on target and easily put the center of that pin where I want it.

FlyGuy

WKR
Agree with Brendan. I think this is the perfect sight set-up. I shoot the axcel 5 pin slider. Use the pins out to 60, then dial out to 110

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I much prefer the opposite. Especially when I throw 3D into the mix. At close range I want to aim as precise as possible at those dime sized center rings and want a small pin. At distance the smaller pins kind of disappear, so a larger pin is easier for me to see and get on target and easily put the center of that pin where I want it.
Agree for 3D, disagree for hunting. I want a big pin for close range shots at first / last light.

I use the hogg father, so when im shooting 3d for scores as opposed to practice with the hunting setup, i swap on a .010" single pin on a separate dovetail.

The Black Gold line of sights are a great way to go. I have a few and you will enjoy the rugged and quietness of these sights. The ability to set all 3 axis points is key.
I suggest from your 2 choices the Verdict line as the widow line doesn't really offer you a different package than what you already have.

Using a slider depends on what and where you hunt. Tree stand short distances would certainly favor the 3 pin.
Western , further distances, the 5 may be best option. I have hunted with the 5 pin slider for years as well as a 4 pin and 3.
But this year I am trying the single pin for no particular reason other than change.

It all comes down to preference.

Coming from a standard fixed pin sight, I would suggest, based on your limited info on hunting location and style as well as budget, , the 5 pin slider in any of the "Verdict" or "Driven" models.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The Black Gold line of sights are a great way to go. I have a few and you will enjoy the rugged and quietness of these sights. The ability to set all 3 axis points is key.
I suggest from your 2 choices the Verdict line as the widow line doesn't really offer you a different package than what you already have.

Using a slider depends on what and where you hunt. Tree stand short distances would certainly favor the 3 pin.
Western , further distances, the 5 may be best option. I have hunted with the 5 pin slider for years as well as a 4 pin and 3.
But this year I am trying the single pin for no particular reason other than change.

It all comes down to preference.

Coming from a standard fixed pin sight, I would suggest, based on your limited info on hunting location and style as well as budget, , the 5 pin slider in any of the "Verdict" or "Driven" models.

What's your average shot distance on game?

WJS23

WKR
I used a 3 pin Hogg father for 4 years and never had to move the slider so this year I got the dubble pin Hogg father and am going to give that a go.

What's your average shot distance on game?

Elk- 55 yards maybe even 60. I had a bull at 8 yards, so I don't include that in the "average"
:)
Deer cant remember... several over 70, but also had a few at 40.
My first pin is 30 yrds on my set up. I could actually crank my bow up, go lighter arrows (420) use my 40 yard pin as my first pin.

I run a 3 pin BG Ascent Verdict slider and I love it. I have bad eyes, so a 5 pinks too busy. The 3 pin gives me the freedom to make some quick shots with the ability to dial in when I want to.

Loco4dux

WKR
The S&S BG three pin, top two .19 bottom .10 is the best for me. Love the open sight picture. I also prefer the tape/dial on the inside of the bow as oppose to the the spot hogg outside dial.

I will throw in my $0.02. I switched to a slider before last season when I built a new bow.

I came down to the Spott Hogg, the black gold and the axel accutouch. I went with the axcel. Can’t really say why as I didn’t have the chance to shoot any of them. Just interested in the design and a bit of interneting.

I started with a 3 pin head but muffed a longer shot and a shot in lower light so I sent it in to get 2 pins added after last season. For my shots on white tails I now have fixed pins that can get me to 60 yards and can dial for longer ranges. I also went with .019 on my 20 yard pin and .01 on my others for more precision. As others said above some go in a different direction for a 20 yard pin. I don’t shoot tournaments or 3D so I wanted a nice big pin for close low light shots at dawn and dusk. I can now get to the practical end of my hunting range with fixed pins and still stretch it out for practice when I want.

Btw axcel customer service were excellent.

I am a little confused why no one has mentioned the Option Archery sight. (Bow Sights - Single and Multi Pin - Option Archery)

You get a slider and a fixed pin. If you want just the slider, you fold away the fixed pins. You can select whichever colors and pin sizes. I went with the Option 6s which gives you 6 pins total. I looked at the Option 8s quite a bit but never found the need to shoot that far with my current bow setup. I have used the slider for competitions and it does REALLY well, but then have the fixed pins for hunting as a back up. Range the animal, set your slider but leave the fixed pins in place in case the animal starts moving on you. Simple.

I am a little confused why no one has mentioned the Option Archery sight. (Bow Sights - Single and Multi Pin - Option Archery)

You get a slider and a fixed pin. If you want just the slider, you fold away the fixed pins. You can select whichever colors and pin sizes. I went with the Option 6s which gives you 6 pins total. I looked at the Option 8s quite a bit but never found the need to shoot that far with my current bow setup. I have used the slider for competitions and it does REALLY well, but then have the fixed pins for hunting as a back up. Range the animal, set your slider but leave the fixed pins in place in case the animal starts moving on you. Simple.

I did a lot of internetting on the option slide. There was some noise about durability. A few folks had bad experiences and rattling from the sight. I also couldn’t figure out how to make a round peep work well with an oval sight housing. It was also fairly pricey. Ultimately I went in another direction but it is a very cool design.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Elk- 55 yards maybe even 60. I had a bull at 8 yards, so I don't include that in the "average"
Deer cant remember... several over 70, but also had a few at 40.
My first pin is 30 yrds on my set up. I could actually crank my bow up, go lighter arrows (420) use my 40 yard pin as my first pin.

Yeah, I'd definitely run a 3 pin slider for that. Things get too crowded for me over 3 pins. Lol

What's your chronoed speed and draw weight?

Yeah, I'd definitely run a 3 pin slider for that. Things get too crowded for me over 3 pins. Lol

What's your chronoed speed and draw weight?

Its a Full Throttle
372 IBO

Im a 29" DL, and cranked up with light weight skinnies I can hit 330's some where.

Right now to tame the beast, I have it set at 66 lbs, shooting 503 gr arrows at 282 fps
My 1st pin is 30, but can easily lift it to 40 and then a bit more to get to 50 or 60.

My bow tunes perfectly even above 282 fps, but my shoulders wont take the 72 lb pull all my life.
I've tuned it with bare shafts at 20 yards cranking above 300 fps

N2TRKYS

WKR
Its a Full Throttle
372 IBO

Im a 29" DL, and cranked up with light weight skinnies I can hit 330's some where.

Right now to tame the beast, I have it set at 66 lbs, shooting 503 gr arrows at 282 fps
My 1st pin is 30, but can easily lift it to 40 and then a bit more to get to 50 or 60.

My bow tunes perfectly even above 282 fps, but my shoulders wont take the 72 lb pull all my life.
I've tuned it with bare shafts at 20 yards cranking above 300 fps

I went to a single pin a couple of years ago. I usually leave it on 30 yds. I can shoot it 0-30 with my setup. My arrows(367 grains @ 28”) aren’t nearly as heavy as yours, but the speed(290) is about the same.

I did a lot of internetting on the option slide. There was some noise about durability. A few folks had bad experiences and rattling from the sight. I also couldn’t figure out how to make a round peep work well with an oval sight housing. It was also fairly pricey. Ultimately I went in another direction but it is a very cool design.

There has been no noise with my Option 6s, which is a newer version to the Option 6. The Option 8s is the only oval one, the rest are round. I have spoken with Dan Evans personally and have every faith in knowing that he will address any issues with the sight, per his guarantee through a lifetime warranty.