Fixed vs Slider sights

Trial153

WKR
I like three pin MBGs ...i go 25-35- 45 and use my middle pin as the floater. All 19 pins are fine for me, green red green. I have revenge that has fixed pind 25 to 55...on that its top two 19 and bottom 10. All green.
On the MGB i been finding the bigger housing is becoming a must for me, lets in more l light and more important gives me a less cluttered fell.

Floating my middle pin is also a must for my set ups as it gives me an above and below which is huge for game like elk and caribou who move a lot.

There has been no noise with my Option 6s, which is a newer version to the Option 6. The Option 8s is the only oval one, the rest are round. I have spoken with Dan Evans personally and have every faith in knowing that he will address any issues with the sight, per his guarantee through a lifetime warranty.

Yeah. I ain’t throwing stones and don’t have any first hand experience with the sight so you would know better than me.

I was hot on the design when I was fitting out my new bow in spring 2017. I priced out an option 8 the way I wanted and it was going to be close to $500 (8 pin platinum) shipped. The spott hogg, black gold and axcel were in the $250-300 zip code. I was almost there on the option until I started to hear some reports about noise / rattle and durability. Warranties are great and i tend to support companies that stand behind their products but I would rather not have to use them especially on such a critical component of such an essential piece of gear. I do t know if the issues I heard about were just teething pains or were completely overblown but that Combined with higher cost sent me in another direction.

Glad yours is working out for you.

Yeah. I ain’t throwing stones and don’t have any first hand experience with the sight so you would know better than me.

I was hot on the design when I was fitting out my new bow in spring 2017. I priced out an option 8 the way I wanted and it was going to be close to $500 (8 pin platinum) shipped. The spott hogg, black gold and axcel were in the $250-300 zip code. I was almost there on the option until I started to hear some reports about noise / rattle and durability. Warranties are great and i tend to support companies that stand behind their products but I would rather not have to use them especially on such a critical component of such an essential piece of gear. I do t know if the issues I heard about were just teething pains or were completely overblown but that Combined with higher cost sent me in another direction.

Glad yours is working out for you.

Your concerns are valid. What I learned in my research and in speaking with Mr. Evans was that he sold the Trophy Taker company and kept the Option Sight and Quivalizer products for his own new company. There is also the platinum series that you reference which was his own and the cheaper versions sold by Trophy Taker, made in China. It would be good to know whether the internet noise you speak of was for the cheaply made ones.

The other sights you mention seem great and I have seen them at competitions, but have no person experience either. I get a lot of questions about the Quivalizer and then when they get closer they start asking about the Option Sight.

Vandal 44

WKR
I am running a five pin MBG ascent slider on one bow and just picked up a Spot Hogg Double Pin Slider to try for my back up bow. There are a lot of good reason to choose between a single pin vs multiple pins its all a personal preference.

I have owned the 5 pin Option Sight my only issue with it was pin brightness. I had a real nice buck come in at first shooting light on an overcast morning in thick trees and could not see my pins never got a shot at the deer. The next day with my back up bow and MBG site same conditions same spot a different buck came in I could see the pins and took the deer.

I sold the Option Sight, if the pins where as bright as the MBG I would have kept it. I think the Option Sight was/is durable and had no issues with it

Ucsdryder

WKR
For elk I think my setup is pretty impossible to beat.

Single pin hog father. 550 grain arrow at 276fps.

I leave the pin at 30 yards.

7 yards - 0
10 2” high
20 yards 3” high
25 yards 2” high
30 yards 0
35 yards 3” low
40 yards 8” low (aim top of lungs and anything from 35-42 is a kill)
50 yards 20” low (top of the back on elk) realistically I’m not shooting 50 yards without ranging first and if I have time to range I have time to turn a dial, but the option for a snap shot is there...wounded animal type thing.

Past 50 yards I’ll take the time to range and adjust for perfect accuracy.

Pro: no sight clutter, no confusion on which pin, no pin gapping at longer range.

Jay03

WKR
I don't know anything about black gold, I shoot spot hogg, but here's what I like in a sight:

5 Pin Fixed head on a slider. Pins and pin gapping for short range, dial for long range and practice
Custom pin sizes - larger for short ranges, smaller for longer
Sight Light Compatible (Optional - but nice in certain scenarios)
Micro Adjust windage and Elevation
2nd and 3rd Axis Adjustable
Dovetail sight or sight radius adjustments for torque tuning and adjusting peep alignment

This exactly, I shoot a Spot Hogg fast eddie XL with a 5pin housing. First two pins .19 and the bottom three .10. My pins are set 20,30,40,50, and 60. My 60 pin becomes 70-100 as I adjust the housing. I tried a single pin adjustable for a year and liked it for 3D but wasn't in love with it for hunting so I went back to a 5pin adjustable. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

BradNSW

FNG
Single pin. Set at 30yds. Shoot it 10-40yds without adjusting.
1. 20yds - Hold 2" low at 20yds
2. 40yds - Hold top of back on deer or high lung on elk
After 40, I'm ranging and adjusting the pin.

Keeps the sight picture totally clear, with lots of light in all conditions.