How tight should release wrist strap be?

I am using a Carter Like Mike release, and really working on my technique to hook my index finger at the second joint and use back tension to execute the shot vs. squeezing the trigger with my finger.

My question is- If I have the release strap as tight as I think it should be so that it doesn't move around and stays in the same place for each shot, it is tight enough that I don't think I could wear it all day when bowhunting. The next notch looser seems just a bit too loose.

Headed to the CO high country in 5 weeks.

Would you go looser or tighter or make a new notch in between?

How new is the wrist strap on the release? If it is new it may stretch a bit to where it will be comfortable at your current setting by hunting season. That said I wouldn't have it set so tight to where I couldn't wear it comfortably all day. A deer or elk is not going to wait for you to put on or adjust your release. If you decide to shoot the release a with the wrist strap at a looser setting, it will slide further down your wrist and you will likely have to shorten the nylon connection strap to have the trigger in the same location on you finger.

I would probably not punch a new notch in the wrist strap for fear of it breaking...but it MAY work. I'd feel more comfortable doing that if I had a backup strap on hand.

Last edited:
I tighten that bitch all the way. I’ve had to move two holes over the last 2 years from stretching. I know right away when it’s in the wrong hole and I can’t hit a damn thing if it’s that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
This release and strap is about a year old and I’ve shot quite a bit with it. I’ve been using the 3rd hole but tightened it to the 2nd hole from the tightest tonight.

I think it’s better that way. I’ll shoot it a while like that and see how it goes.

Thanks!

bsnedeker

WKR
I tighten that bitch all the way. I’ve had to move two holes over the last 2 years from stretching. I know right away when it’s in the wrong hole and I can’t hit a damn thing if it’s that way

Same here, and I wear it that way all day every day when hunting. Mine has a fold back design so the trigger doesn't get in my way.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Murdy

WKR
I wear mine a little loose, more comfortable.

I can't imagine that when it's got some weight on it during draw that it doesn't end up being pulled to the same place on my wrist.

Not that it matters, but I wear my like mike in the 2nd to last hole too. Perfect for my wrist size. I have the head pulled in as tight as it can be and that setup puts it right in the 2nd finger joint like i like it so I can pull through.

I suppose you could cut another hole. Mine is tight but not so tight it cuts of the circulation. It is comfortable for an all day long wear.

If you can't get it quite tight enough, if possible shorten up the head a bit more.

OP
S
Thanks for the input. I’m not going to add a hole. Will try the tighter setting and have my bow shop look at my form next time I’m in there to see if anything else needs adjusted.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I shoot a handheld release, so the wrist strap isn't tight at all as it doesn't do anything for me except keep the release close by.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I'm similar to ezmorning, mine is loose enough to spin around my wrist and get out of the way. I would explain it as you want it to feel like a good fitting watch. Loose enough to rotate and get some airflow but not too loose that the face will roll over your wrist bone.

Riplip

WKR
I had the same issue with my release (kind of in between). I think the like mike has an adjustable strap, try shortening it and then shoot with the looser wrist position as it will shorten your finger reach distance and should give you the same finger position as the tighter option but more comfortable to wear. At least it worked for me.