Iron Will Noise

Mmcan

WKR
I've mentioned on several different threads that a flaw in the IW 125gr broad heads I have is that they hiss, noticeably. They hiss regardless of what bow I shoot them from, which arrow they're on, windy, calm, no matter. I haven't had the chance to hunt with them to see if it would be an issue that bothers deer or elk or hogs bc I had shoulder surgery. Finally able to shoot at the range again last week, and the vented IW still hiss.

As luck will have it, the good people at IW have developed non-vented versions of their BH's, and I purchased some last week. 200gr. Damn things flew without any hiss at all, and were very accurate. POI to 60 yards was minimally lower than shooting the 125's. Also shot my helix 200's which have always been very accurate w same result. I'm wanting to boost my arrow weight and FOC by going to the heavier BH, and am encouraged that it won't really change the POI much at reasonable distances. (Ashby has a video with similar results shooting from a hooter shooter. Interesting)

In any case, I'm impressed w the improvement apparent w the non-vented models. Thanks and kudos to the people at Iron Will.

ORHunter

WKR
I've noticed the same thing with the vented 125's. They shoot great but the noise definitely concerns me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thoughts on increased wind drift with non vented vs vented? What’s a good trade off? Vented and noise or non vented and drift due to cross wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
The noise doesn't bother me in the least, doenst sound any worse then any number of vented heads I have used in the past.

SWOHTR

WKR
We get it, you had shoulder surgery and don't like noisy broad heads. How many topics does this need?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
If you look up the testing that Bill at Iron Will did with regards to the noise you will see that from the front or animals position there is little to no noise and by the time the animal could hear it it would be too late.

With regards to heavier FOC I would suggest that you listen to some of the latest episodes from Kifaru cast. Especially the one posted on July 24th. Some excellent information.

mvmnts

WKR
My take on it is that all broadheads make noise when they're coming at you, so it probably doesn't matter too too much. I went with solids anyway, didn't see a reason not to. I'm finding them hitting a touch low compared to my field points. Not really seeing the "perfectly accurate" results that I've seen posted literally everywhere about them. May be my form, or it may be that people have a loose definition of "groups perfectly". Not sure yet.

hflier

WKR
The noise I observe on my Iron Wills hits my ears at about the time the arrow hits. Assuming the same occurs on the opposite side of the shot, it’s too late. I have had the same amount of noise from Montec G5’s and other similar broad heads and lots of animals have been killed with those. I love the Iron Wills, they have great durability and I was able to get them to fly as my field points pretty easily.

i cannot imagine any animal that could hear the broadhead noise in time to react. this entire issue seems almost comical to me. sure the arrow release might be a loud enough and abrupt enough sound to startle an animal but the sound of an arrow coming at your ...nah.. not buying it.

Trial153

WKR
i cannot imagine any animal that could hear the broadhead noise in time to react. this entire issue seems almost comical to me. sure the arrow release might be a loud enough and abrupt enough sound to startle an animal but the sound of an arrow coming at your ...nah.. not buying it.

Agree 100%.

Start hunting whitetails in the east and south and that won't be such a comical issue to you

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
It can absolutely be an issue. Sound travels at 1090 FPS and your arrow at probably not much more than 300. An animal could easily flinch or change his position enough to make you miss it or even worse, make a bad shot.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a hard time believing that the animal can't hear the hiss. This isn't an iron will issue but with most fixed blade vented heads in my experience. I can hear the hiss all the way til I hear impact.

I'm going to have iron wills on my arrows for elk, but when I come home and am hunting whitetail from a tree im screwing on hypodermics again.

Hard to argue the difference when shooting them next to field points, especially inside.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
How many threads does this need? Do you work for Strickland's?

LOL. No, I don't work for strickland. And I suppose this topic or any topic needs as many threads as anyone wants to post about it. Just sharing my experience. Skip over, or block me if you're tired of what I've written. Just trying to help others as they have helped me.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
It can absolutely be an issue. Sound travels at 1090 FPS and your arrow at probably not much more than 300. An animal could easily flinch or change his position enough to make you miss it or even worse, make a bad shot.

Agreed.
My concern isn't just regarding the animal I'm shooting at. Its the ears of the other animals running in the herd as well. Hunt with what you like. I'm glad there's a non-vented option.