How do you practice shooting on a backpack hunt?

mvmnts

WKR
After my first elk hunt last year, I really see the importance of checking your marks in the field and staying in shape throughout the hunt with your bow. Even after a few days I found that my accuracy had dropped off significantly due to fatigue, heat, and lack of practice, etc. It's simple enough to bring a target when you're car camping, but this year we're going to do a couple 4 day backpack hunts. I've always heard of stump shooting, but I don't really know what that means or how it can be done. I took it literally last year and I lost quite a few arrows in the process. I don't know of any way to shoot a modern compound bow at anything other than a foam target and not lose or destroy arrows.

How do you practice your archery on a backpack hunt? Is there a way? I can't think of one.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grizz Targets Backpacker. Weighs less than a 1lb, but a tad bulky. Has to hang to work, either via two trekking poles (above timberline) or from a tree or something. Mine cost me $26, but the killer was $33 shipping because I was in Alaska. Get enough guys together in a local spot and I bet once could save a few bucks on shipping....
Website is not working for me today, but here is their Facebook Page: Grizz Targets inc. - Home | Facebook

I found the Grizz Targets via an article Adam Foss did for Mathews Archery. I can't find the article anymore, but remember that is where I first heard of them.
GrizzTargetsBP01 - Copy.jpgGrizzTargetsBP02 - Copy.jpg
These pics are of the day I got them a few years back.

SWOHTR

WKR
I think he means the ones that look like a meat tenderizer. Cheap, if I recall. Not sharp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I've actually had real good luck with the G5 Small game head. Been shooting the same "practice" arrow since my Wyoming trip in 2016. Had to replace one of the heads because all the prongs broke off, but never lost it. I use an Easton Axis with a broadhead adapter ring on the front so the arrow holds up. Arrow must have mushroomed a little, because that ring isn't coming off anymore...

I usually have one field tip arrow in my quiver. Use it to shoot grouse or bushes at varying distances. This year I switched to FMJs... so I dont know if they'll be as forgiving to shoot into the dirt.

desertcj

WKR
I don't. I rely on my summer of practice to keep me straightened out. Sometimes I go months without shooting my bow and I can still pick it up and shoot pretty decently although not as tip-top as I could be obviously. I guess it's like riding a bike to me at this point. Once you get it figured out, I dont think it's too hard to make it happen.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I view it more as a way to check gear. Transport to the backcountry can sometimes make you want to check gear. Having something simple you can check at the airstrip is not a bad idea, IMO.

Beendare

WKR
I totally agree with shooting on a hunt...not only does it keep you sharp....but helps with range and its FUN.

Soft banks, rotten logs, sand piles....of course Grouse....all good.

On our last drop camp moose hunt the ground was so swampy we were losing arrows in the much. We scraped together a sand pile along a river bank with a big red leaf that turned color and it made for a great target.

With a strong COC BH you can even shoot your BH's....though the sand is a little tough on them...takes a bit to get them back to sharp.

PMcGee

WKR
a6f1953bbfbd2b63301bc3ce58c1d7a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro