eye dominance accuracy

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I have always heard it is best to shoot, if possible, with your hand that matches your dominant eye. Left eye dominant, shoot left handed, etc. I have also heard it is best to shoot with both eyes open if possible, which is only doable with your dominant eye. My question is if you are right handed but left eye dominant, how much of an improvement could you expect to see switching to shooting left handed? I know there are variables like form, the bow being tuned and set up correctly, but all things being equal, how much of an improvement could you expect?

Squirrels

WKR
Coming from someone who has actually done it... a lot. For me it was being able to start shooting with both eyes open, switching hands to my dominate eye (which is left for me) also allowed me to ditch the peep site all together. The switch was completely painless IMO, but I've read where others struggle.

LostArra

WKR
For some it's better to switch to the dominant eye but others adapt without a loss of accuracy. I think if someone young is starting out it might make sense to start them shooting with the dominant eye although equipment selection will be a bit limited for lefties.

Interesting stats:
10% of population is left handed
approximately 1/3 of the population is cross dominant, the majority being right hand-left eye.
less than 3% of international (Olympic) archers shoot left handed
US has not sent a left handed archer to the Olympics in over 20 years.
Last Olympic medalist shooting left handed was 1992 (one medalist)

Conclusion can be that cross dominant shooting can still be accurate.

Last edited:

codym

WKR
I'm right handed/left eye dominant. Honestly I think I'm more ambidextrous than just right handed. When I boxed I could switch from right hand to south paw pretty easily, I shoot a pistol either handed, write right handed and shoot a bow and rifle left handed. I have always done it that way. I would think it would be super hard to try and shoot a rifle or bow right handed if left eye dominant. It is a pain in the ass to find LH bows but in the long run I think you will end up being a much better shooter once you build up strength to shoot LH.

TripleJ

WKR
I'm left handed and right-eye dominant. I pretty much do everything left-handed except for shooting. I shoot both my bow and rifle right-handed. My oldest son is right handed and left-eye dominant. At a young age I saw him leaning over to aim with his left eye on right handed guns so I switched him over. In the long run, I thing your mind is more "at ease" and free to focus on aiming and shot execution when you are aiming with your dominant eye. Muscles can be built up fairly quickly over time to overcome the awkwardness of drawing a bow with your non-dominant side.

Im right handed and strongly left eye dominant. I shoot bows/guns left handed. I have a very hard time closing my left eye and leaving my right open so i made the decision pretty early on that id have to shoot left handed. Plenty of used bows out there to try out and see if it helps you any.