Setting long range pins at close range?

Shadow14

WKR
I was at the range the other day and the guy next to me was saying that there was a way of sighting your bow in for long range without shooting at those distances. I dont have a way to shoot at 40, 50, 60 yards often and am looking for a way to get my pins in the ballpark without loosing a bunch of arrows. Anybody ever heard of anything like this?

ckleeves

WKR
You can eyeball your pin gaps if you have your 20 and 30 sighted in and you shouldn’t lose any arrows. 30-40 gap is going to be ever so slightly bigger then 20-30. There are other ways of doing it that are more precise but I can’t say I have ever lost an arrow setting further pins. Get your 40 set, put a tiny bit more gap to your 50, get it set, tiny bigger gap to your 60, etc.

You can spend more time trying to precisely set your pins that are more then likely going to need a tiny adjustment then just eyeballing, shooting an arrow and adjusting.

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
My 50 yard pin is good at 3 yards. I think 60 yard pin at 1 yard. You’re probably going to have to fine tune when you move back to 50 but you should be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm just going to throw it that, even if this is possible, it seems like a bad idea. Why do you need or want pins beyond what you are able to practice at? I'm assuming you aren't planning on shooting an animal at 60 when you don't practice at that range so why do you want that pin?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
If you know the speed of your arrow, you can buy yardage tapes that essentially show the pin gaps at that arrow velocity. Gap your pins to match the yardage tape, and that will get you close. A pack of tapes is about $15 on Amazon.

In the end, you have to verify it at those yardages, but you'll be close enough not to be lobbing arrows into the next county.

Jeremy

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are doing this to actually use in the field, I wouldn’t. You will miss, lose game and get frustrated.

Buy a portable target and go find an open field to practice in. Tapes based on speed alone is a crap shoot if they even match up. Sight to peep distance and peep to arrow distance will greatly affect the speed of the tape.

Some shortcuts; I believe a sight company makes a 5 pin sight that you set 20 and 30 and the other pins move accordingly to their proximate gaps, but just proximate. You could also by a sight scale from Landcaster that you put your 20 and 30 on their respective marks and move the rest to their indicated marks. And last you could buy sight tapes and use the one that marries up to your 20 and 30 and then set the others to that.

The downfall to using 20 and 30 is it is hard to know if your pin is set at 19, 20, 21 or even 29, 30, 31 as the difference in them is minutia. Better to do a 50 and 60.

OFFHNTN

WKR
The only sure way to sight in at 40, 50, 60, etc. yards..........is to shoot at 40, 50, 60, etc. yards.

bat-cave

WKR
I don't think there is any substitute for putting arrows down range. Perhaps you could uyse something like te Uno App to at least get your pin gaps started?

My 50 yard pin is good at 3 yards. I think 60 yard pin at 1 yard. You’re probably going to have to fine tune when you move back to 50 but you should be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, what he said... 50 yard pin is close enough in the 3-5 yard range for me as well - incidentally I use my 50 yard pin to aim while paper tuning.

gumbl3

WKR
Like said before, 50 at around 3.. 40 around 6.. depends on your speed, trajectory, etc, but you get the idea

No tricks, just think of the flight of the arrow, it crosses your sight picture twice, once right after it leaves the bow and the other down range where you're setting your pin