Backup Release

Wapiti1

WKR
A couple of things, first make sure you have a backup release. There are 4 releases scattered across the west that I managed to lose. They are next to several pair of gloves, one face mask, and a really comfy flannel shirt that also didn't make it home.

More to the point, make sure you practice with your backup release every once in a while. Especially if it is not the same as your primary. I shot with both my main releases this evening, and noted that my groups with my backup were 2-3" larger than with my primary and it just didn't feel right.

The length adjustment lock on it had loosened and backed out nearly 1/2", adding 1/2" to my draw length. I shoot claw style wrist releases.

I was stringing left and right bad with that added draw length, and it certainly increased my chances of a bad hit. Possibly a complete miss. After adjustment, everything was back to the usual 10" groups at 20 yards, and I was happy.

Getting close to the day. Hope the best for everyone's season.

Jeremy

JohnnyB

WKR
I carried a back up release all last season. Decided to shoot it a few months ago and found out it was defective and wouldn’t stay closed on the d loop. It also became apparent that it was not going to feel the same even if it had worked. Good words of wisdom on carrying and practicing with a back up.

I’m not asking for any honey holes or anything, but what general area did you leave those four releases...

OP
W

Wapiti1

WKR
One is in northwestern NM, one is in south central WY, and two are in MT. The flannel is in MT as well, and I miss that the most. It was really comfy, and warm.

Jeremy

OFFHNTN

WKR
A couple of things, first make sure you have a backup release. There are 4 releases scattered across the west that I managed to lose. They are next to several pair of gloves, one face mask, and a really comfy flannel shirt that also didn't make it home.

More to the point, make sure you practice with your backup release every once in a while. Especially if it is not the same as your primary. I shot with both my main releases this evening, and noted that my groups with my backup were 2-3" larger than with my primary and it just didn't feel right.

The length adjustment lock on it had loosened and backed out nearly 1/2", adding 1/2" to my draw length. I shoot claw style wrist releases.

I was stringing left and right bad with that added draw length, and it certainly increased my chances of a bad hit. Possibly a complete miss. After adjustment, everything was back to the usual 10" groups at 20 yards, and I was happy.

Getting close to the day. Hope the best for everyone's season.

Jeremy

Agreed, and good reminder.

Yep for sure. My backup is a thumb release (carter insatiable) and primary is an index finger(carter like mike). Good news is that they shoot in the same spot so don't have to worry about that. Just have to practice with the insatiable a bit every now and then.

Yep, I always carry a backup release. And it’s always the same model as my primary, just a bit more used. I’ve needed it a couple times over the years; saved those hunts for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Yes my primary this year is truball blade and my back up is carter quicky 1plus