Shooting with glasses

hobbes

WKR
I used to have good eyesight and never thought about this. Even when I started wearing glasses it wasn't a big deal because my eyes woyld adjust between objects at different distances. While my eyesight isn't terrible, I definitely prefer glasses for anything at distance, especially low light conditions. However, my visit to the doc last year revealed what I already knew....I need bifocals. However, I opted to not get them and just remove my glasses to read. My glasses, non bifocal,, are good for distance, but not good up close ( I can't read with them).

I didnt notice it as much last year but my glasses are good for seeing detail on the target, say for picking a spot, but they create quite the halo effect around my pins. Right or wrong, I've always focused on my target and settled the pin without really thinking about it too much. However, there is enough glare or halo around my pins now to make focusing past them difficult. They almost become a wall of green, red, yellow, etc.

Im going to the eye doc soon, but was wondering if anyone here has dealt with this?

Last edited:

bwlacy

WKR
I just got bifocals this year but can't seem to shoot very well with them. I still shoot better with my old glasses. You could try a clarifier lens in your peep. Super Peep makes some, not sure about anyone else.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I just got bifocals this year but can't seem to shoot very well with them. I still shoot better with my old glasses. You could try a clarifier lens in your peep. Super Peep makes some, not sure about anyone else.

The bifocals would take some getting used to, I liked the progressive lenses better when I tried them in the office. I can't imagine either of them working well for shooting my bow.

gumbl3

WKR
Have a buddy that just went the clarifier route.. Described the halo just like you did. He went to the pro shop and they had several to look through, he took them outside, picked out the one that fit him best and they installed it. Said he went from being unable to focus on anything to drilling 40 yarders as soon as it was put in

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
I battled with this the past couple of years. Progressives alone just didn't work for me. After much experimentation I settled on a verifier peep and a low power lens in my sight. Verifiers clear up your pins. The clarifier clears up your target. It's tough to get to find a balance without sacrificing one focal plane or the other. Specialty Archery makes what you are looking for. I would go to a dealer and mix and match until you are comfortable.

Use the smallest peep to start. Squinting a little helps you focus. You will lose some shooting time at first and last light. Keeping them clean is a bit of a pain but with a cover it's doable.

Verifiers | Specialty Archery