Broadhead Testing...

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Changed my setup this year....So I am in the middle of some 125 grn broadhead testing. Data is interesting so I thought I would share.

Disclaimer....I'm not a great shooter...Novice at best. Not trying to determine the "best" as it will vary from one shooter to the next. Hopefully the data is helpful.

Broadheads:

• Kudo
  • Bone-In
  • Iron Will
  • VPA
  • Werewolf Hex

IMG_3743.jpg

My Bow:

Athens Testament w/ NSX Cams
Peak Weight: 72 lbs
Draw Length: 28.5
Brace Height: 6.625
ATA: 33.5"
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest

Arrows:

28" Black Eagle Deep Impacts 300 spine
Black Eagle Iodized Outserts 42 grn
AAE Plastifletch Max 2"
Arrow Wraps
Black Eagle Nock
Total Arrow weight 503 grn
FOC 13.7
Calculated Speed using archers advantage: 266.4 fps

Up next: I will post some of my measurement results of each along with some qualitative thoughts. Followed by field testing. Will not post any of the manufactures specs as that can be found on their website.

Jay03

WKR
What are the ferrules made of on those werewolf hex heads? They look interesting but I cant find the answer on their website.

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Kudo

Some pics....

IMG_3719.jpgIMG_3722.jpgIMG_3723.jpgIMG_3724.jpg

My measurements of each of the three broadheads...The maximum spread is the difference of the highest and lowest measurements.

Kudo.png

Some thoughts:
  • Excellent edge...Easily shaved my arm hair.
  • Constructed of multiple machined parts, but each part is precisely machined and fits together very well.
  • Consistent measurements..Only slight higher than the advertised 125 grn.

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
What are the ferrules made of on those werewolf hex heads? They look interesting but I cant find the answer on their website.

not 100% sure on what they are made of. I weighed the two ferrules with the o-ring and they are at 10 grns. I think they are aluminium, due to no magnetism.

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Bone Broadheads

Some pics...

IMG_3725.jpgIMG_3726.jpgIMG_3727.jpgIMG_3728.jpg

Measurements...

Bone.jpg

Thoughts...
  • Great machining.
  • Rock solid construction.
  • Good edge, but could not shave with it.
  • The packing gives first impression that the broadheads are "loose". They place some sticky adhesive on each broadhead so they don't flop around in transit.
  • Some weight inconsistency from broadhead to broadhead, and several grains heavier than 125.

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Iron Will

Some Pics...

IMG_3732.jpgIMG_3729.jpgIMG_3730.jpgIMG_3731.jpg

My Measurements...

Ironwill.jpg

My thoughts...
  • Only purchased one broadhead due the higher cost
  • Excellent machinging
  • Well constructed, rock solid
  • Excellent Edge...Was able to shave

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
VPA

Some pictures...

IMG_3733.jpgIMG_3734.jpgIMG_3736.jpgIMG_3737.jpg

My measurements...
VPA.jpg

My thoughts...
  • This was my incumbent broadhead manufacturer....Shot the vented 100 grn model. Shot well with my lighter renegades and harvest a bull elk, full pass through last year
  • went with non-vented for test
  • Inconsistent on the weights...Variability from one broadhead to the next and off of the 125 grn
  • Only three blade in test
  • Good edge
  • Rock solid construction

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Werewolf Hex

Some pictures...

IMG_3738.jpgIMG_3739.jpgIMG_3740.jpgIMG_3741.jpg

My measurements...

Werewolf.jpg

My thoughts...
  • Much bigger profile than the rest of the group
  • Measured weight much higher than 125grn, at 135+. This is due to the added 10grn of the two ferrules and o-ring, which all measured a very consistent
  • Build quality of each component was ok
  • Good construction
  • Good edge
  • The ferrules and o-ring offer flexibility to tune the arrow. At first I thought it would rotate too easily, but it holds pretty good to where I wanted it. If you turn it too much the o-ring compresses out between the ferrules.

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Created a quick scoring chart...Because I'm that guy.

Scale 1-5 of equal weights.

Review.jpg

• Ironwill gets a pass on the consistency as I only had one. Given how well this one broadhead is put together I feel comfortbale the broadheads are fairly consistent.
  • Kudo and Ironwill were the only two broadheads that were to razor blade edge.

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Field Testing...First Pass 8.11.18

Process:
  • 6 shot groups @ 30 yards
  • Same arrow for each shot
  • Plot each group on SR-1 Rifle Target
  • Measure penetration of each arrow

Here is my results...Table is depth, in inches.

Untitled.jpg

Thoughts:
Wind was tough...Inconsistent crosswind gusts of 5-10 MPH. Was really getting into my head and and punching the trigger.

1. Base group, FP's, grouped at 3"
  2. Bone-in was tightest group at 4.5'
  3. Kudo only grouped larger, 5', because of two shots that I pulled low. They were the most consistent and grouped right with the FP's.
  4. VPA's were all over the place...So much so that I stopped in the middle to shot three FP's to make sure I wasn't going crazy. FP's grouped fine.
  5. Werewolf grouped ok. Arrows were tailing out of the bow to the left. All impacts displayed this as well.
  6. Iron Wills and Werewolfs were noticeable louder when the wind picked up.

Conclusion: Since I am looking for broadheads that will be "easier" to tune I am going to eliminate the VPA's from further testing until I can figure out if I want to determine where in my set-up will get them to group. In all, I felt super uncomfortable where I stood after today's session...Given session opens in less than a month.

Last edited:
OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Second session....8.12.18

Process:
  • 3 shot groups @ 40 yards
  • Measure penetration of each arrow (Matrix Target)

Here are my results, table is depth in inches.

Untitled1.jpg

Thoughts:
Much "better" session. Wind was still a nuisance with a fairly consistent 8-10 mph cross wind (All wind was measured with my Kestrel 5700)

• Base Group, FP's, at 2.5" just under bulls
  • Kudo best group and was just left and above the FP's
  • Bone-In next best group, but grouped a good distance up and right of FP's
  • Iron Wills and Werewolfs still exhibit more sound in flight.
  • Werewolfs were a good bit lower than the rest of the groups. May have to do with the the slightly heavier tip? Also, still coming out of bow to the left and impacts are tailing to left as well.

Conclusion: Feel a little bit better about my chances of having an effective range longer than 10 yards after today, but still need some work. Werewolfs will be eliminated from testing. Would be interested to test the ability to tune with the ferrell system, but maybe after the season.

Kindo

WKR
Field Testing...First Pass 8.11.18

Process:
  • 6 shot groups @ 30 yards
  • Measure penetration of each arrow

Here is my results...Table is depth, in inches.

View attachment 78048

Thoughts:
Wind was tough...Inconsistent crosswind gusts of 5-10 MPH. Was really getting into my head and and punching the trigger.

1. Base group, FP's, grouped at 3"
  2. Bone-in was tightest group at 4.5'
  3. Kudo only grouped larger, 5', because of two shots that I pulled low. They were the most consistent and grouped right with the FP's.
  4. VPA's were all over the place...So much so that I stopped in the middle to shot three FP's to make sure I wasn't going crazy. FP's grouped fine.
  5. Werewolf grouped ok. Arrows were tailing out of the bow to the left. All impacts displayed this as well.
  6. Iron Wills and Werewolfs were noticeable louder when the wind picked up.

Conclusion: Since I am looking for broadheads that will be "easier" to tune I am going to eliminate the VPA's from further testing until I can figure out if I want to determine where in my set-up will get them to group. In all, I felt super uncomfortable where I stood after today's session...Given session opens in less than a month.

Man, I’m glad I’m not the only one having issues with VPAs. I about pulled what hair I have left out trying to broadhead tune those suckers! I’m like you, not an expert but I kill $hit and can put arrows where they need to go (most of the time) and the VPAs seriously had me second guessing my abilities. I love the design and construction though. Thanks for the review.

chuckq777

FNG
VPA also gave me trouble. . I couldn’t get them to fly. 125 solid. My bow tuning is getting better but I have tight groups at 50. 3”. And these were all over. 500 grain arrow.

Thanks

Brendan

WKR
I think VPA is just a less forgiving head. I tested them in past years against several other fixed blades - good shoots were usually pretty good, but fliers missed by a lot more than other heads. Thats with a tuned bow, good arrows, heads spin test fine, etc.

Best flying head I've shot is still Wac 'Em 3 blade. Still need to try Iron Wills.

- B

Last edited:
OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
My previous arrow shot the VPA’s well. Black Eagle Renegades with 3- Blazers, believe I was at 455grn for weight but would have to check my notebook to be sure. Shot the 100grn vented version. Groups out to 50 were good and only slightly right to my FP’s.

They were a little loud in the wind. This is a trait I’m discovering trends with vented blades.

Last season I shot my elk at 32 yards. Through the heart with complete pass through. Blades really cut great and opened up a nice wound channel. Considerable blood loss, and fantastic blood trail all lead to a quickly dispatched elk and easy recovery.

Sharp as new after the shot. I just had to clean the tip up a little bit.

Believe I could get the guys to shoot, just don’t have the time right now. Plus, several others are shooting better. One of my goals was to find a head that is more forgiving to compensate for my shortfalls as arrow builder and shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindo

WKR
My previous arrow shot the VPA’s well. Black Eagle Renegades with 3- Blazers, believe I was at 455grn for weight but would have to check my notebook to be sure. Shot the 100grn vented version. Groups out to 50 were good and only slightly right to my FP’s.

They were a little loud in the wind. This is a trait I’m discovering trends with vented blades.

Last season I shot my elk at 32 yards. Through the heart with complete pass through. Blades really cut great and opened up a nice wound channel. Considerable blood loss, and fantastic blood trail all lead to a quickly dispatched elk and easy recovery.

Sharp as new after the shot. I just had to clean the tip up a little bit.

Believe I could get the guys to shoot, just don’t have the time right now. Plus, several others are shooting better. One of my goals was to find a head that is more forgiving to compensate for my shortfalls as arrow builder and shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the vented version will be more forgiving. I bought both the 125 and 150gr heads which have a decent amount of surface area. Tried .260 and .300 spine arrows and could never get them to fly consistently. There's no doubt that my form has some shortcomings; however, I could stack my bare shafts with fletched field points at 20 yards. Threw the VPAs on and I was about 5" or so left at 40 yards with some erratic arrow flight.

Good work on the review. I think I'll be trying some Kudu or Bone for next year as I'd like to give the single bevel a shot.