Have you seen or can you explain?

Btaylor

WKR
Has anyone ever seen a broadhead that would not spin true but would consistently shoot to a 2" spot out to 50 yards and stay within 4" out to 70? I had never heard of such, had never seen it happen and didnt think it was possible. I have now though but have no explanation for how it could be.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Has anyone ever seen a broadhead that would not spin true but would consistently shoot to a 2" spot out to 50 yards and stay within 4" out to 70? I had never heard of such, had never seen it happen and didnt think it was possible. I have now though but have no explanation for how it could be.

No, I have not. Some straight bheads/arrows can't shoot like that. lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sure. I have a 125gr old style Shuttle T that has been through a few grouse, into rocks, gravel, and dirt........blades are dinged up beyond repair, wobbles like crazy........but will hit that 3" bullseye at 60 every time if I do my job.

OP
B

Btaylor

WKR
Sure. I have a 125gr old style Shuttle T that has been through a few grouse, into rocks, gravel, and dirt........blades are dinged up beyond repair, wobbles like crazy........but will hit that 3" bullseye at 60 every time if I do my job.

Do you think it is a function of complete tune meaning bow and arrow combo excluding the head? In other words, can you tune a bow and arrow combo to the point that it will shoot a fixed blade head that will not spin true? Obviously in the case I am asking about it did, I just find it hard to imagine it would be repeatable, esp. considering all I have ever heard and/or seen is a fixed head that wont spin will not fly right.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you think it is a function of complete tune meaning bow and arrow combo excluding the head? In other words, can you tune a bow and arrow combo to the point that it will shoot a fixed blade head that will not spin true? Obviously in the case I am asking about it did, I just find it hard to imagine it would be repeatable, esp. considering all I have ever heard and/or seen is a fixed head that wont spin will not fly right.

You would have to analyze the entire flight path of that arrow with high speed video and be able to compare it to the flight path of a similar arrow without the wobbly head to see exactly what it's doing. But I am still meticulous with every arrow that goes in my quiver regardless. I don't want any wobbles at all. Just for reference, I had another different head just the other day that also wobbled. That thing wasn't consistent at all. So like every arrow......it depends.

OP
B

Btaylor

WKR
You would have to analyze the entire flight path of that arrow with high speed video and be able to compare it to the flight path of a similar arrow without the wobbly head to see exactly what it's doing. But I am still meticulous with every arrow that goes in my quiver regardless. I don't want any wobbles at all. Just for reference, I had another different head just the other day that also wobbled. That thing wasn't consistent at all. So like every arrow......it depends.

For sure!! My best guess is it is a combination of total tune and build of the head. You mentioned the Shuttle T and the head in question is also a smaller compact head. I suspect you most likely would not get away with it shooting anything other than a compact head. I know I have never seen it happen with the more traditionally sized heads. It just challenged one of the oldest truisms in archery for me that if the head wont spin it wont shoot right.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's another example. Just this week I had shot a Ramcat into the target and got tired of tightening the screws after every shot. So with the blades loose I shot it again from 60 yards. At the shot it was a good clean release and the pin was buried on the bullseye. When I got up to the target I see that arrow at least 18" high and 6" right of the bullseye. I've never seen ANYTHING even remotely close to that far off before. And when I pulled it out it only had two blades. So I don't know if it lost one in flight, or in the target. I'm guessing in flight, which is why it was so far off line.

Beendare

WKR
Very short heads like that Shuttle T are easier to tune and more forgiving of bad assembly. Those are a tiny BH...and poor steel.

The bigger and longer heads won't tolerate that ^.....but then are more effective on game.

Its all tradeoffs.

I find if I tune my bow I can shoot just about anything...no problem. A guy shooting 300FPS has less options.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Very short heads like that Shuttle T are easier to tune and more forgiving of bad assembly. Those are a tiny BH...and poor steel.

The 125's are bigger than you think. They're longer and wider than any of the Wac'ems I shot, same for the Strikers, same for all the Slick Tricks. Ya, I understand that compared to a Buzzcut they're much shorter, but they also have a wider cut at 1 3/16". The other head that wobbles and doesn't fly true was a Striker. They're even shorter and smaller cut than the 125gr Shuttle T's.

The one elk that I've shot that "didn't take a step after being hit", was shot with a 125gr Shuttle T. That was a cow, and she just stood there. I thought I missed until I saw blood running down her side. Then she eventually started stumbling around and then fell over dead. Easy passthrough, and the head was fine, 40 yard shot on the money. A little dulled, but no nicks or dings in the blade. A quick stropping with the Dremel, felt wheel, and stropping compound, and it was good as new. That was the old style........haven't tried the Black Ops ones.

Last edited: