Insert glue?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready to build my first set of arrows from scratch. I have AAE Max Bond glue for my vanes but neglected to pick up glue for my inserts. Can I use that same glue or do I need something special?

Hoh Down

FNG
My preferred choice now is two part epoxy. I currently have been using the gorilla glue brand and it's working great.

WJS23

WKR
You can use it in a pinch but you gotta be quick and don’t use it if you are using outserts or the HIT inserts you will trash you arrows. I always try to use a two part epoxies.

Trial153

WKR
Two part epoxies, loktight gorrila glue,aae ...any 24 hour set will work

I use Locktite super control gel (same thing I use for vanes). Before I glue inserts in, I take a little sandpaper and rough up the inside of the arrow as well as the insert, and then use a q-tip and some acetone and clean the carbon dust out of the end arrow. That will help the glue hold much better.

I use Gorilla Impact Tough Super Glue (blue lid orange body) I used to use this for vanes as well but I had to switch with AAE max hunters so its just my insert glue now.

MattB

WKR
Hot melt. I consider inserts a wear part and want to be able to replace them.

Beendare

WKR
I use the 2 part slow set epoxy with HIT inserts....per mnfr spec.

Someone mentioned cleaning the inside of the shaft with Acetone....this is a No No..... per Easton specs anyway.

They recommend Isopropyl Alcohol....the solvents can degrade the resins that make up the carbon arrow. Its no wonder some guys have problems....too much heat or the wrong chemicals with Carbon shafts can degrade the working ends of your arrows.

I use the Iso alcohol on a Q tip to clean....no need to sand. I do sand the inserts. This makes those inserts permanent. Then mill the ends on a straightener.

bwlacy

WKR
I use the 2 part slow set epoxy with HIT inserts....per mnfr spec.

Someone mentioned cleaning the inside of the shaft with Acetone....this is a No No..... per Easton specs anyway.

They recommend Isopropyl Alcohol....the solvents can degrade the resins that make up the carbon arrow. Its no wonder some guys have problems....too much heat or the wrong chemicals with Carbon shafts can degrade the working ends of your arrows.

I use the Iso alcohol on a Q tip to clean....no need to sand. I do sand the inserts. This makes those inserts permanent. Then mill the ends on a straightener.

Interesting, I've always heard to use denatured alcohol, not Iso. Was told for years that Iso didn't clean well and things wouldn't stick. Been using denatured for probably 15 years now.

BuckSnort

WKR
Been using 2 part 5 minute epoxy since carbon arrows came out... From outserts to inserts have never had a problem...even used to be able to heat up the outserts on the old AFC carbons and remove them without arrow damage if you knew where and how long to apply the heat... To much heat and you ended up with a spider web of carbon lol

Beendare

WKR
Interesting, I've always heard to use denatured alcohol, not Iso. Was told for years that Iso didn't clean well and things wouldn't stick. Been using denatured for probably 15 years now.

^Not true.
Isopropyl alcohol is stronger than Denatured alcohol. They are a little different chemical makeup...and they both do essentially the same thing....but Iso does a better job of cleaning waxy or greasy films.

As far as I know both will work... Easton recommends Iso alcohol.

Solvents like Mec, Acetone and Lacquer Thinner can eat into the carbon itself degrading the shaft. I doubt a little acetone is going to cause a big problem...but FWIW they don't recommend it. Same thing with heat from hot melt. I know guys that use it and they have it down...only using enough heat to get er done.........but it doesn't take much overheating to wreck an arrow.

MattB

WKR
With ISO, make sure to use a high % as the lower % can have oils in them which actually limit the glue bond.

Jay03

WKR
I used Easton HIT insert two part epoxy this year and I am not impressed, 3 inserts have come out so far. And yes I cleaned and prepped surfaces correctly. The BSI industries black rubber toughened that I have used in the past however seems stronger than the components it glues together. The only bummer is it works very fast! No time to turn and index inserts. You have to line it up and press the insert in fast. But its the strongest stuff I have ever used.

Beendare

WKR
I used Easton HIT insert two part epoxy this year and I am not impressed, 3 inserts have come out so far. And yes I cleaned and prepped surfaces correctly. The BSI industries black rubber toughened that I have used in the past however seems stronger than the components it glues together. The only bummer is it works very fast! No time to turn and index inserts. You have to line it up and press the insert in fast. But its the strongest stuff I have ever used.

^ Well, all I know, is I've been using the Axis HIT system since it came out and have never had an insert come loose using slow set epoxy.

In fact, I've tried the drill bit trick and still couldn't get them out.
________

Good point on the Iso Alcohol Matt, use a min of 91% Isopropyl....the diluted stuff isn't good for cleaning.