Not the end of the world, but my big mistake

Ruskin

WKR
I'm getting ready for a Sept 10th CO elk hunt and have been dialing in my bow. New string with a quick paper tune last weekend and I've been shooting in the basement just to settle it all in. Decided to shoot a few this morning before I rushed out the door and I ended up dry firing the bow. Took me a minute to figure out what happened, but best I can tell I had 1000 things running through my head and I just didn't load an arrow.

Aside from being embarrassed and a dumb ass, my heart dropped as I now have to figure out what the damage is. It's a Bowtech BTX-28. The cable is still on, but the string came off. I called and talked to the tech at Bowtech and she said check the cam to see if they bent. They look straight to me, but i'll take it to my local shop tomorrow to have them look at it. She also suggested running a cotton ball across the limbs to see if any there is any separation of the limbs. Again, visually and running my finger over the limb, they look fine (to an untrained eye). Not sure if my brand new Winners Choice string is still usable...it's not cut or frayed, but i'm sure this wasn't good for it.

Ugh. :(:mad::(

No one else I know cares and while most of you probably don't either, you at least know what i'm talking about. For anyone else that reads this in the future, i'll post up the results of this horrible process when the dust settles..

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I hope all is ok! Accidents happen to all of us. Crossing my fingers nothing is worse for the wear for you.

I'm getting ready for a Sept 10th CO elk hunt and have been dialing in my bow. New string with a quick paper tune last weekend and I've been shooting in the basement just to settle it all in. Decided to shoot a few this morning before I rushed out the door and I ended up dry firing the bow. Took me a minute to figure out what happened, but best I can tell I had 1000 things running through my head and I just didn't load an arrow.

Aside from being embarrassed and a dumb ass, my heart dropped as I now have to figure out what the damage is. It's a Bowtech BTX-28. The cable is still on, but the string came off. I called and talked to the tech at Bowtech and she said check the cam to see if they bent. They look straight to me, but i'll take it to my local shop tomorrow to have them look at it. She also suggested running a cotton ball across the limbs to see if any there is any separation of the limbs. Again, visually and running my finger over the limb, they look fine (to an untrained eye). Not sure if my brand new Winners Choice string is still usable...it's not cut or frayed, but i'm sure this wasn't good for it.

Ugh. :(:mad::(

No one else I know cares and while most of you probably don't either, you at least know what i'm talking about. For anyone else that reads this in the future, i'll post up the results of this horrible process when the dust settles..
Brother, life happens. Shit Tim Gillingham dry fired a bow on camera. He's one of the best. None of us are immune to mistakes. Just learn from it, be thankful you're okay and get it fixed. Best of luck to you in CO.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
I've dry fired a bow before - Elite Synergy. String stayed on and did the same cotton ball thing to check the limbs...no problems and she still shoots like a dream.

You should be okay.

Btaylor

WKR
Havent dry fired one but have had 2 blow up on the release when cables broke, once at the range and once in a treestand. Crap just happens sometimes. Get 'er checked out and keep rolling.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Hope everything is back up and running soon for you. Best of luck on your hunt!

Buy a new cheap bow and send that one back for repair.

I know a bunch of guys who have done that exact same thing.

Personally I have not.

KHNC

WKR
Doesnt sound like you will have any issues. Typically, if you are going to have limb issues, after a dryfire, the cotton ball test will expose them. If the cam looks straight, you are probably fine. Get it restrung, check the string for frays and get back to shooting!

Happened to me on a hunt one time with my matthews DXT... limbs and cams were ok... string came off. I replaced cables and strings and she's fine 4 years later.

I was torqued when it happened... but you will be alright :) Try and relax, get it in, and focus on your hunt!

Boreal

WKR
Oh that hurts. I had one blow up after a split nock broke on the shot. Scared the hell out of me, thought I'd exploded the arrow into tiny carbon missiles. The string broke and cut open my arm (still have the scar), but luckily my arm wasn't porcupined with carbon shards. Replaced the string and cables because the cams were straight and no limb damage. I hope you have good luck with your bow and the hunt! Be safe.

Blew my bow up last week while shooting at a 380" caribou, would have rather it happened in my yard before work than where it did. No idea what caused it, either.

Gumbo

WKR
Ughh. My buddy did the exact same thing at the range a few days ago, and I have caught myself pre-draw a couple times without an arrow on. At least you still have a few weeks to get it sorted out.

Good luck!

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
I dry fired a bowtech invasion shooting my first round of techno hunt years ago. String broke at the peep but limbs and cams were fine. At least you were by yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Definitely need to experience a D-loop breaking in mid draw. Best way to find out if you can still take a punch!

that's what backup bows are for. hell i could blow up my backup and still be hunting the next day. good luck on getting it fixed.

541hunter

WKR
My hunting partner was shooting last week when his bow arm gave out. He ended up dropping his elite impulse 34. The bow hit a large boulder he was shooting over bending the cam and cracking a limb. Our season starts in 8 days... Shit happens

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I did the exact same thing with my Halon 32 earlier this summer. The only thing I had to do was as replace the peepsight that flew off. The guy at the bow shop said they’re built sturdier than they used to be. Not sure if that’s true. I was lucky - hopefully you are too.

Squirrels

WKR
I dry fired a bowtech allegiance a few years back. Out shooting and after a shot I was making a sight adjustment as just got out of my routine and never knocked another arrow. Limbs were okay but the muzzy zero effect rest and the cams didn’t fair to well. Things happen, hopefully you don’t have equipment damage. Don’t beat yourself up over by any means.

LostArra

WKR
I did the exact same thing with my Halon 32 earlier this summer. The only thing I had to do was as replace the peepsight that flew off. The guy at the bow shop said they’re built sturdier than they used to be. Not sure if that’s true. I was lucky - hopefully you are too.

I've heard the same thing from some very experienced techs.