Montana Bow Sling mini-review

Gumbo

WKR
After using the Montana Bow Sling for a couple days antelope hunting I think it might be a game changer for me, just like the Kifaru Gunbearer. I am liking it WAY better than the Primos style slings or attaching the bow to my pack while hunting. I customized the straps and buckles and added a second triglide to get my bow to ride perfectly on my Reckoning. I set it up for the bow to ride under my left arm with the string down, top cam forward. It does bounce/swing slightly, but a little pressure on the bow from my arm keeps it pretty negligible. The bow goes on and off the hooks very easily, and the straps are out of the way when the bow isn't on them, and the straps can be easily removed if you want to take them off or switch packs (at least the way I have them set up with an open-ended Kifaru female buckle attached to the pack's webbing). One huge benefit is having both hands free to use binos without having to set your bow down. Although, if I was going to use trekking poles I would still almost certainly lash the bow to the back of my pack with a Grab-It. But since the system is so light, I would still definitely bring the straps on backcountry hunts. Construction appears solid and components seem to be of high quality. The buckles are also compatible with Kifaru buckles.

If you hike a lot while hunting this is definitely worth considering, especially considering the relatively low price.

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
Can you tell/show me how you attached it to your kifaru? I can’t find the sweet spot

Here is the strap/buckle configuration I am using. I switched to an open-ended female buckle so I could pull them on and off the pack easily. Notice one is marked "F" for front and one "R" for rear. I pull them off when I am not carrying my bow and I need to know which is which because the lengths are different. I added the additional triglide to keep the webbing from slipping and flapping around (these are not optimally positioned in the pic).

This is my rear strap as I attach it to my pack. I use one of the lower load-lifter loops because I always run the lifters on the top loop (I have the Hunter Duplex frame). I've run this strap in a couple locations and it doesn't seem to matter what loop it is on, you just want it near or slightly behind your left shoulder.
20191023_202050.jpg

Because I run the Reckoning I have a loop in the top middle of the bag that I use for the front hook.

It does take a little time to get the sling setup properly, and the length of the straps is critical, as is where you hook them on the bow. I carry the bow string down, top cam forward underneath my left arm, with the hooks through machined holes at either of the riser (I run a Reckoning bow and Reign 7 and do have to slightly adjust the lengths to make each bow ride properly). Once set up there is very little bounce or swing and all I have to do is loosely cup my fingers around the bottom rod on my Tight Spot to keep it solid.

Hope this helps! I really love this setup and haven't changed anything from my initial setup last year, it is an absolute game changer. Only draw back is it is slightly cumbersome to get them situated when you are shouldering your pack, but for me the benefits FAR outweigh the cons, especially with the quick detach open-ended female buckles.

Last edited:
OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
Glad to help. I edited the post a little to clear up the language a touch.

Using one of these this year, what a game changer for the backpack hunter . I absolutely luv it.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the strap/buckle configuration I am using. I switched to an open-ended female buckle so I could pull them on and off the pack easily. Notice one is marked "F" for front and one "R" for rear. I pull them off when I am not carrying my bow and I need to know which is which because the lengths are different. I added the additional triglide to keep the webbing from slipping and flapping around (these are not optimally positioned in the pic).
View attachment 128804

This is my rear strap as I attach it to my pack. I use one of the lower load-lifter loops because I always run the lifters on the top loop (I have the Hunter Duplex frame). I've run this strap in a couple locations and it doesn't seem to matter what loop it is on, you just want it near or slightly behind your left shoulder.
View attachment 128805

Because I run the Reckoning I have a loop in the top middle of the bag that I use for the front hook.
View attachment 128806

It does take a little time to get the sling setup properly, and the length of the straps is critical, as is where you hook them on the bow. I carry the bow string down, top cam forward underneath my left arm, with the hooks through machined holes at either of the riser (I run a Reckoning bow and Reign 7 and do have to slightly adjust the lengths to make each bow ride properly). Once set up there is very little bounce or swing and all I have to do is loosely cup my fingers around the bottom rod on my Tight Spot to keep it solid.

Hope this helps! I really love this setup and haven't changed anything from my initial setup last year, it is an absolute game changer. Only draw back is it is slightly cumbersome to get them situated when you are shouldering your pack, but for me the benefits FAR outweigh the cons, especially with the quick detach open-ended female buckles.
Hey I was just checking out how you have your sling set up, very clever, I like that another. It excites me to see guys think out of the box and configure it in new ways. Thanks for the kind words and good luck this season!

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw how old this thread was, but am wondering how quickly and quietly the bow can be removed if an animal suddenly appears?

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw how old this thread was, but am wondering how quickly and quietly the bow can be removed if an animal suddenly appears?
Hey, great question! It can be removed pretty quick with very little noise, just takes a little getting use to. Each sling comes with two hooks and two quick releases, this way you can set it up however you like.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I was ready to sell mine, but this was a game changer. Thanks for the pics and detailed review.
If you need anymore help with it let me know, I would be happy to help!

Lbayers91

WKR
If you need anymore help with it let me know, I would be happy to help!

I’m sure I’ll reach out when I start trying to get geared up here in a couple of weeks for my first archery elk trip! Thanks!