Portable Bow Press

apuvajaq.jpg

yvy8enyd.jpg

I will doctor this up later. Basically you use paracord and create a block and tackle. I tied a bowline one the top axle, looped it around the bottom axle and tied two directional figure 8s and looped the tag end through each eyelet. Then pull like heck. We had to do this when Nik's Strother cam unstrung while being carried on his pack and got hung up on a limb. It worked like a dream.

Hardstalk

WKR
Ive got a small ratchet strap I keep in the truck. Same concept just alot easier to ratchet than pull the limbs.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Slowly. It worked really well. You could always draw your bow and have someone untie it.

Hawker suggested a footloop to stand in for easier working.

Lukem

WKR
I was curious, I know how paracord will seem to grip and then let go. Friction does funny stuff. Looks like a pretty killer way to fix in the backcountry!

horseshoe

FNG
I used 2 ratchet straps to put my pse omen back together last year, and was scared to death that it was going to blow up in my face! I can't imagine using just the paracord, but you made it work. Cool!

Was that bow 70lb draw?

OR Archer

WKR
If doing this type of repair in the field or even at home make sure you back the bow off as much as possible before attempting this.

OP
Brandon Pattison
His bow is a 65# peak weight bow I believe. I would do it with an 80#er without sqauwking.

I really don't think it was as 'dangerous' as some are making it out to be. I held the tension while he restrung it. There's enough friction in the knots to alleviate it flying apart. Just reach down and grab ahold of some discipline and get to it.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I did something similar to my TAC-15 last night. I cocked it to about 3/4 and tied it off with paracord (4 passes = 2200#) and let it down. It worked like a charm. My cams were not synced.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Cool idea. I have a bowmaster its my only press and works like a charm but this is definitely a good idea for a field emergency !

Whisky

WKR
For those us not so adventurous, what is a good field friendly press?

Bowmaster is probably the best option for portables. i wouldn't pack it in but it's nice to have at the pickup. I, unfortunately, finally had to use mine this year too while on a trip.

OR Archer

WKR
Bowmaster is probably the best option for portables. i wouldn't pack it in but it's nice to have at the pickup. I, unfortunately, finally had to use mine this year too while on a trip.

Another good option which works on the same concept as what Franklinmanklin did is the Synunm press. This option would work on even the most parallel limb bows. Only downside is the thing is way to expensive for what it is.

horseshoe

FNG
ttt................

Finally rigged one up. Works as promised! Everyone should have one in their bow case and/or backpack!

Thanks Franklinmanklin!

Last edited:
I know it works but as a tech it looks like a food way to break spacers and possible bend an axle in your Spyder pics you are only on one side VS your crossbow pic on both. I'd recommend tying onto both sides of the axle just in case.