Using a Thumb Trigger Release

60x

WKR
I use a just cuz and an insatiable 3 for bow hunting. I e even used a hook..

Lawnboi

WKR
I use a thumb release. I like it cause I can keep it in my pocket. It's also nice to clip on the string and let it hang if needed.

Terrapin

WKR
I've been using a Carter Chocolate Addiction for the last 5 or so years. I have it on a modified wrist strap with a quick detach buckle. That way it is always on my wrist, but I can detach it and leave it clipped to the string when I'm calling or sitting on a stand.

Slim Jim

WKR
I switched to a thumb release last year ( Stan shootoff ) and really liked it at first. After about six months I started developing trigger panic and punched my shots a lot and could not break the habit. I didn't care for it to much while hunting because of the click noise when hooking to d loop. My OCD didn't help either with constantly worrying about loosing it in the field because it is just hand held. I've recently switched back to a finger release with a hook and much happier. I've shot close to 500 shots with it and have not punched a shot yet. To each his or her own, whatever works is all that matters.

Maxhunter

WKR
I've used a carter Ember I since they came out around 2005 I think. I use it on all my hunts and I've never had any issues. I prefer one with a open hook so I can quickly attach to my d-loop. There are a lot of good thumb releases you just have to find one that works for you!

OP
BSeals71

BSeals71

WKR
I've been using a Carter Chocolate Addiction for the last 5 or so years. I have it on a modified wrist strap with a quick detach buckle. That way it is always on my wrist, but I can detach it and leave it clipped to the string when I'm calling or sitting on a stand.

That sounds like a great idea with the wrist strap. Can you put up a photo?

OP
BSeals71

BSeals71

WKR
I switched to a thumb release last year ( Stan shootoff ) and really liked it at first. After about six months I started developing trigger panic and punched my shots a lot and could not break the habit. I didn't care for it to much while hunting because of the click noise when hooking to d loop. My OCD didn't help either with constantly worrying about loosing it in the field because it is just hand held. I've recently switched back to a finger release with a hook and much happier. I've shot close to 500 shots with it and have not punched a shot yet. To each his or her own, whatever works is all that matters.

That kind of sounds like the situation I would expect to be in. But still not sure & would have to try hunting with one.

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
Been using a Hot Shot thumb release for the last few years, Tempest. I love it. I am getting in a new Hot Shot Eclipse 3 finger next month and I am really excited about that one.

AGPank

WKR
I've been using a hotshot tempest. I might try their new vapor. It's a thumb release designed for hunters. I think a handle style release is easier to maintain my anchor point. It's a spring loaded jaw that is supposed to operate very quietly. It is priced very competitively, I think it starts at $110.

Terrapin

WKR
7upeduvu.jpg

Sorry it took so long, but here it is.

CentennialELK

Lil-Rokslider
That is a good idea with the wrist strap. I have a spott hogg whipper snapper and I like the way it sets up. I don't like the open end and not having a strap. I had a VERY nice bull come in last fall and the release was in my pocket, and I couldn't remember which one... I ended up going back to an index finger and a strap.

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a carter Ember I since they came out around 2005 I think. I use it on all my hunts and I've never had any issues. I prefer one with a open hook so I can quickly attach to my d-loop. There are a lot of good thumb releases you just have to find one that works for you!

I've used the same release since 2015. I've shot 5 animals since then including 3 elk. Love having it in the pocket. The three elk I have killed, the release was in my pocket up until about a minute from killing them. Just remember have an extra one in your pack in case you do loose one. Find the right one for you.... best thing i've done in releases!

Carter insatiable is my backup. I use a Carter Like Mike for my primary. Both put arrows in the same spot. I change it up all summer long with those two and a hinge just to keep target panic at bay.