New vanes??

I run three fletch with my AAE Stealth Hunters with as much helical as I can get. We even modified a bitzenberger to get more helical. I have no problems with fixed blades fly accurately and forgivingly out to 80.

OP
justin davis
Well a little update for you guys. Testing has been show. I picked up some Vanetec 2.2 swifts. I really liked them and they shot pretty well. Only thing I noticed and didn't care for was they seemed fragile. I had a few go into my target and the vane got shredded.

I ordered some Blazer X2 to try 4 fletch.

And I'm gonna fletch up some arrows with the AAE Max stealth. I've heard nothing but good things for these from a lot of people. Also have heard they are very very quiet!!

I run three fletch with my AAE Stealth Hunters with as much helical as I can get. We even modified a bitzenberger to get more helical. I have no problems with fixed blades fly accurately and forgivingly out to 80.

Can you explain how to modify the Bitz for maximum helical? I've seen pictures of the one that Dan Evans did but couldn't understand exactly what he did even after looking at mine for a bit. Looks like he cut it off but I can't see where any part of the jig would give any more helical.

Thanks!

Can you explain how to modify the Bitz for maximum helical? I've seen pictures of the one that Dan Evans did but couldn't understand exactly what he did even after looking at mine for a bit. Looks like he cut it off but I can't see where any part of the jig would give any more helical.

Thanks!

We just lopped the front of the jig off. The full size clamp will hit the jig in some cases and this just gave it more movement. It's not a lot, but it does help.
87c588e0be7c55100a4c990edeb7109f.jpg

OP
justin davis
I did that too. Works pretty well.

Tried the max stealths. They seem to be a nice vane. Pretty quiet. They are heavy thou!!

Gonna try Blazer x2 4 fletch

jherald

WKR
I'm gonna test against the human ear as well as a sound app that I got on my phone. It wasn't until recently that I stood down range of a guy shooting Blazers with field tips. I was 100 yards from him. I could hear his bow go off pretty quiet but then could hear a super loud rocket sounding hiss all the way to the target. I thought man Blazers are sure loud. If I can hear that then an animal can hear it even more!!

I went on a coues deer hunt recently. I was shooting Blazers at the time. I had two great stalks on great bucks that I got shots at. Both deer dodged my arrow. Now people are gonna tell me, no way was it the arrows. It's the nature of the deer, or your bow....but The way it happened I'm pretty convinced that they heard my loud arrows. I think for most animals the Blazers are fine and Blazers have killed lots of animals. But for coues deer I think you need all the edge you can get.

So I'm switching to a quieter vane. For years I've shot flex fletch and they are considerably quieter than Blazers at least to my own ears.

I was running norway industries 2'' vanes and being so stiff those things were loud flyers, sounded like a rip saw flying through the air, a bit exaggerated but they were loud. Switched to 2'' blazer and things quieted down substantially being a softer plastic than the norway vanes.

Would be interested in something quieter, is the flex fletch a softer material than the blazers?

gethuntin

WKR
Anyone listen downrange to a helical blazer compared to a slight offset blazer? I don't run the helical as I feel it drags too much and seems to drift at longer distances. Its been a while and it was only a short test but I thought I was getting about 3" of drift compared to my offsets. I never compared the two for noise though.
I am content with my groups at long range with just an offset even with fixed bh but should re-visit helical to see if I get more consistency. What advanteages do you guys see with the helical?

Anyone listen downrange to a helical blazer compared to a slight offset blazer? I don't run the helical as I feel it drags too much and seems to drift at longer distances. Its been a while and it was only a short test but I thought I was getting about 3" of drift compared to my offsets. I never compared the two for noise though.
I am content with my groups at long range with just an offset even with fixed bh but should re-visit helical to see if I get more consistency. What advanteages do you guys see with the helical?

I run as much helical as I can possibly get with my vanes. I have fixed blades and FP's hitting the same POI out to 80 (farthest I've tested it) and I never have had issues of my groups drifting right as the distance increases.

I run four vanes in right helical with a bitz fletch jig. I have been using Blazers but just ordered some aae max stealth and aae max pro vanes to test.

jherald

WKR
I've done helical and offset with the blazers, only difference I've seen is more noise withthe helical vs offset. Accuracy is good to my max practice 80 yds.

gelton

WKR
I shoot the same vanes based on a recommendation from Jerry at South Shore...loving them. Low profile, great stability and still quiet.

Dameon

WKR
I shoot Flex Fletch SK300's and they are awesome as is Jerry at South Shore. I've been ordering arrows from him for the past 4 years. I have yet to lose a fletch. Nocks on the other hand.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried almost all of the top vanes and flex fletch are definitely my favorite. The flash vanes are very quiet and seem to give me the best grouping at longer yardages.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Been shooting Flex fletch Silent knight 300's. Defintly quieter and shooting good
Justin I've ordered some sk300 based on your review. I've read some have difficulty getting them glued down. Did you use the zing and did you prep them any different? I'd like to avoid the zing if possible

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd like to avoid the zing if possible

I don't think that's possible. Even with the zing and SK's put on by Jerry, I've had vanes come off passing through targets.

I went back to my tried and true 2" QS Speed Hunters which are a breeze to fletch up, keep their shape, and tend to stay on. But I still want to try the Fusion Xii 3" vanes. I hated the bases on the old ones. These are supposed to be much better.

Blackcow

WKR
I've had the best luck with all flex fletch using fletch tite platinum. Clean the base good with acetone, and leave in the clamp at least 2 minutes before going, carefully, to the next one. And let them sit for a couple of days to cure before shooting. Overall a p.i.t.a., but they stay stuck. Did i mention that glue is a pain to work with?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had the best luck with all flex fletch using fletch tite platinum. Clean the base good with acetone, and leave in the clamp at least 2 minutes before going, carefully, to the next one. And let them sit for a couple of days to cure before shooting. Overall a p.i.t.a., but they stay stuck. Did i mention that glue is a pain to work with?

That's why I had Jerry do these ones, I didn't want to mess with it. I much prefer the glue and go method. Takes me less than 2min per arrow and can shoot them as soon as I'm done.